Cheap but good AKs - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Cheap but good AKs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 03:52 AM   #11
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 986 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 497

I bought a WASR 10 a few months ago and am truly impressed with the simplicity and reliability of this weapon.
I added a red dot sight and tactical light and this is a fun gun to shoot!
I'm in the process of adding a new stock and fore grip and can't wait to try it out!

Old 11-26-2011, 03:48 AM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default I just cant trust them

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Q, $450 is a great deal.

I was going to get a VZ-58 but passed it up to later read they are awesome, light and perfectly balanced. I'm not sure about the CIA version but who knows. I still want to try one out.
I was looking at those too, but went with a saiga and converted it.

The price is definately right, but just like everything else at century, its put together by low paid people, who may or may not have any firearm experience. Their goal is to pump out product, make money and worry about quality later. I cant deny have probably put out some fine weapons(an ak isnt that hard to replace parts on though), but they for sure have put out alot of junk compared to the number of good ones(compared to saiga, ruger, keltec, taurus). Thus, a crappy reputation.

I wish they put out better weapons, because I like a cheap quality weapon just like everyone else. But unless you are familiar with the individual weapon (ie. cetme, g3, ak, uzi) STAY AWAY. They may look good on the outside and fit what you think it should be, but there may be problems you cant see. And I really dont think they have any type of warranty, I could be wrong though.

As much as I hate saying it....SPEND THE EXTRA 200, convert a saiga or get one converted. I am biased, but Im pretty sure Im right.

Last edited by Pjj342; 11-26-2011 at 03:53 AM.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:24 PM   #13

Liked 2610 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

I guess if you prefer the less expensive

"meat and potatoes" AK, you either need to

be very familiar with what to look for,

or willing to risk having to buy two

cheaper guns in order to get a reliable shooter.

I have to agree that even if you have a

problem with an inexpensive AK, there's

a gazillion parts, and decent gunsmiths can

usually soon put the unit to rights.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:10 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
I guess if you prefer the less expensive

"meat and potatoes" AK, you either need to

be very familiar with what to look for,

or willing to risk having to buy two

cheaper guns in order to get a reliable shooter.

I have to agree that even if you have a

problem with an inexpensive AK, there's

a gazillion parts, and decent gunsmiths can

usually soon put the unit to rights.
Right now there are unconverted saigas to be had for less than 350. There seem to be a surplus of them and they are selling them cheaper than usual. When I got mine last year I paid around 420 with shipping and transfer, and I thought I got an alright deal, for the rifle I got.

I was looking for something cheap too, but I couldnt justify the risk of buying a century or IO.

My advice is, get a saiga now, as they are as cheap as they will ever be (i think). Then convert it in steps. You dont have to do it all at once.
first, shoot it in its factory set up til you can afford a buttstock, pistol grip and fcg. You may be just fine with it and not want to go any farther.
If you do want to do more, just do it gradually.
making your saiga into an ak will get you more familiar with the weapon system than you ever thought you could be. The extra couple hundred bucks over time will be well worth it.

Before I got my rifle, I didnt want to spend any extra money to get it to true ak form. Once I got it though, I wanted to make it perfect. Im glad I got it, because now I have a long term hobby.

This is mine, for now....
new-ones-029.jpg  

Old 01-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #15

for the money you can get something other than a wasr. wasr is my least favorite but i have only seen a few

Old 01-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #16

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'd like too buy an accurate AK, an AK-47 that will shoot min. of angle. Something that will keep up with my Armalite. Either 5.56 or 7.62.
Can someone point to a gunsmith that can accomplish this????
I've seen a lotta pics of AKs, but never one where they showed a target showing the accuracy of these????
Just wondering why they are so popular, I've shoot a bunch of them and never found one that will consistently come anywhere near MOA. (Well unless the M in MOA stands for Melon, watermelon.)
Maybe because they're issued with pistol type sights with a very short sight radius..
Any ideas please.

Last edited by 75370; 01-19-2012 at 10:29 AM.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:58 AM   #17

Liked 2610 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75370 View Post
I'd like too buy an accurate AK, an AK-47 that will shoot min. of angle. Something that will keep up with my Armalite. Either 5.56 or 7.62.
Can someone point to a gunsmith that can accomplish this????
I've seen a lotta pics of AKs, but never one where they showed a target showing the accuracy of these????
Just wondering why they are so popular, I've shoot a bunch of them and never found one that will consistently come anywhere near MOA. (Well unless the M in MOA stands for Melon, watermelon.)
Maybe because they're issued with pistol type sights with a very short sight radius..
Any ideas please.
MOA with an AK? Surely you jest.

They are strictly a gun for "spray & pray" accuracy at long distance.

The tolerance of the parts is too loose, the receivers are stamped,

the barrels are too short, and the LOP is cruddy, even if you're small.

Armies find them convenient for fire suppression, salvo/group fire, and

close combat.

The AK trades accuracy for dependability, cheapness, and ease of

maintenance.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #18

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

The ak is popular because it was relatively cheap to manufacture due to its stamped receiver and it will run for years without being cleaned. Ive heard stories of veitnam vets finding them in the jungle covered with mud and the action rusted shut and they still fire. Thats why so many 3rd world armies use them, because they are cheap and cleaning kits in those parts are few and far between.

The ak's downside is its not very accurate at ranges over 100 yards. Some are more accurate than others but generally they are less accurate than other semi-auto battle rifles.
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 02-03-2012, 11:42 PM   #19

I also wanted a cheap AK, looked at a few WASR's but also heard the horror stories about them. I ended up getting a converted Saiga from Classic Arms a couple weeks ago and I'm very happy with it. I haven't been to the range with it yet but the quality is very good. I paid $479 which is cheaper than the WASR'S in my area.