Is Century International Arms a good place to get an AK?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Is Century International Arms a good place to get an AK?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 01:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Is Century International Arms a good place to get an AK?

I am in the market for an AK and came across Century Arms, any recommendations, comments, or reviews about them would be helpful. I checked out cheaper than dirt and found them on there, still not sure of another brand to go with, cuz I am just getting into the whole AK idea... Suggestions???

S&W M&P 45
Glock 23 & 26
Saiga 223
Remington 870 & 887 NitroMag 28"
Mossberg 535 ATS
Winchester Model 1890

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-21-2011, 02:01 AM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I own a Century Arms AK74 and I love it.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:25 AM   #3

If any AK has most of its parts, it will work most of the time regardless of what's done to it.
Got three from century and all run fine.
These things are very hard to screw up.
Just make sure it takes regular mags, not one of those 10 round things that won't accept normal 30 round mags.

You may find me dead in a ditch one day, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass!

Old 07-21-2011, 02:32 AM   #4

Likes Given: 2

AK's and their variants are almost impossible to screw up if assembled correctly.......that being said........if somebody can screw it up its Century...

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 07-21-2011, 03:03 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Century Arms is known for their manufacturing screw ups. I've seen more than my share and I own two guns with the two main ones. That being said, the guns still go bang every time I pull the trigger and can still hit a target if you know how to fix or better yet avoid the problems.
For an AK variant from Century, look for a canted front sight assembly first off. That's the most irritating but fixable thing for these AKs. It better be a damn good deal if you buy one with the canted sight because you're going to have to replace it more than likely.
The less drastic problem with these rifles is the hammer rides just a bit high in the reciever which can get the bolt to stay back every now and then when you're cycling it by hand.
Of course check to make sure it cycles smoothly enough to make sure something like the gas-tube isnt binding.

My suggestion, dont buy one unless you can handle it yourself.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Last edited by Ruzai; 07-21-2011 at 03:07 AM.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:26 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanx for the input, is Century known for building their rifle parts together (milled or pinned)?? Is there any other reputable makers of AK that are in the same price range or cheaper??? My father used to be an FFL and said he was getting AKs back in the 90's for $79.99 Chinese, Yugo, Romo, and Norinco... I wonder if they can still be found in that price range... I would like to find a nice reliable AK for less than $250 if that is possible these days???

S&W M&P 45
Glock 23 & 26
Saiga 223
Mossberg 535 ATS
Winchester Model 1890

Old 07-21-2011, 01:07 PM   #7

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts

Century Arms has developed a bullpup designed AK-74. I saw it on the cover of Special Weapons for Military & Police Magazine. The cost is under $1000 (do not quote me on that),and it is a sick looking weapon worth buying.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:14 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefulHead77 View Post
Thanx for the input, is Century known for building their rifle parts together (milled or pinned)?? Is there any other reputable makers of AK that are in the same price range or cheaper??? My father used to be an FFL and said he was getting AKs back in the 90's for $79.99 Chinese, Yugo, Romo, and Norinco... I wonder if they can still be found in that price range... I would like to find a nice reliable AK for less than $250 if that is possible these days???
I don't think you'll ever see those prices again.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:19 PM   #9

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Call noboma and ask him where the $79.99 AK's have gone?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-21-2011, 02:42 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I agree that those prices are no longer available, but it sure would be nice...
Anyways any other suggestions for AK makers that are in the less the $400 range???

I was reffering to the build of CIA's rifles, are they milled and assembled like a real AK, or pinned together like a piece of junk and still charge $500 for one???

S&W M&P 45
Glock 23 & 26
Saiga 223
Mossberg 535 ATS
Winchester Model 1890