Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Is Century International Arms a good place to get an AK? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/century-international-arms-good-place-get-ak-45564/)

GratefulHead77 07-21-2011 01:56 AM

Is Century International Arms a good place to get an AK?

I am in the market for an AK and came across Century Arms, any recommendations, comments, or reviews about them would be helpful. I checked out cheaper than dirt and found them on there, still not sure of another brand to go with, cuz I am just getting into the whole AK idea... Suggestions???

doctherock 07-21-2011 02:01 AM

I own a Century Arms AK74 and I love it.

yellowhand 07-21-2011 02:25 AM

If any AK has most of its parts, it will work most of the time regardless of what's done to it.
Got three from century and all run fine.
These things are very hard to screw up.
Just make sure it takes regular mags, not one of those 10 round things that won't accept normal 30 round mags.

DrGonzo11 07-21-2011 02:32 AM

AK's and their variants are almost impossible to screw up if assembled correctly.......that being said........if somebody can screw it up its Century...

Ruzai 07-21-2011 03:03 AM

Century Arms is known for their manufacturing screw ups. I've seen more than my share and I own two guns with the two main ones. That being said, the guns still go bang every time I pull the trigger and can still hit a target if you know how to fix or better yet avoid the problems.
For an AK variant from Century, look for a canted front sight assembly first off. That's the most irritating but fixable thing for these AKs. It better be a damn good deal if you buy one with the canted sight because you're going to have to replace it more than likely.
The less drastic problem with these rifles is the hammer rides just a bit high in the reciever which can get the bolt to stay back every now and then when you're cycling it by hand.
Of course check to make sure it cycles smoothly enough to make sure something like the gas-tube isnt binding.

My suggestion, dont buy one unless you can handle it yourself.

GratefulHead77 07-21-2011 11:26 AM

Thanx for the input, is Century known for building their rifle parts together (milled or pinned)?? Is there any other reputable makers of AK that are in the same price range or cheaper??? My father used to be an FFL and said he was getting AKs back in the 90's for $79.99 Chinese, Yugo, Romo, and Norinco... I wonder if they can still be found in that price range... I would like to find a nice reliable AK for less than $250 if that is possible these days???

40calcliffy 07-21-2011 01:07 PM

Century Arms has developed a bullpup designed AK-74. I saw it on the cover of Special Weapons for Military & Police Magazine. The cost is under $1000 (do not quote me on that),and it is a sick looking weapon worth buying.

Cornhusker 07-21-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GratefulHead77 (Post 546975)
Thanx for the input, is Century known for building their rifle parts together (milled or pinned)?? Is there any other reputable makers of AK that are in the same price range or cheaper??? My father used to be an FFL and said he was getting AKs back in the 90's for $79.99 Chinese, Yugo, Romo, and Norinco... I wonder if they can still be found in that price range... I would like to find a nice reliable AK for less than $250 if that is possible these days???

I don't think you'll ever see those prices again. :(

canebrake 07-21-2011 02:19 PM

Call noboma and ask him where the $79.99 AK's have gone? :confused:

GratefulHead77 07-21-2011 02:42 PM

I agree that those prices are no longer available, but it sure would be nice...
Anyways any other suggestions for AK makers that are in the less the $400 range???

I was reffering to the build of CIA's rifles, are they milled and assembled like a real AK, or pinned together like a piece of junk and still charge $500 for one???