Century AK-47, ok or bad? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Century AK-47, ok or bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 03:26 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default I like my C.E. Bulgarian AK=74

I'm chiming in fairly late here but I just got a Century Arms AK-74 super cheap, am in the process of beating seven kinds of crap out of it and can't make it FTEject or FTFeed. I've got 10 mags (I know, I know, but they're just so inexpensive I just can't help myself) from four or five different sources and they all seem to work exactly the same. I'm shooting both the inexpensive military surplus and the equally inexpensive silver bear 5.45s and don't see any particular difference inside 100 yards, which is as far as Ive had an opportunity to shoot it.

The fit and finish isn't bad. It's got a good heft to it and I plan on replacing the polymer stock with the AK StrikeForce package to get some rails up front.

One of my shooting buddies has a C.A. WASR-10 and a C.A. CETME .308 Sporter and having shot and stripped both, they seem to be fairly sturdy rifles.

I will say I'm not crazy about the trigger on the WASR. Lashes back harder than I care for, read that hurts like a bastard when you shoot it, so we're looking into a new trigger for it.

The CETME .308 Sporter had a bit of a FTEject issue but a thorough swabbing of the chamber removed the carbon that had built up (cheap ammo) and seemed to sort that right out.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:49 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default century ak-47 ok or bad

I had a century L1A1 put 1000's of rds through it never had any problems. I have friends that have century ak's and no problems. I don't know why century is getting such a bad rap. My experiences tells me different. For the $ they are a good choice.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:45 AM   #13

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I've had a WASR and still have one of the M70's. Both never gave me a problem. The only reason I don't have the WASR now is it was give up in a trade for something I just had to have. A friend still has it and I get to see and shoot it pretty often.

Bottom line after the two Century's I've owned and the many I've got to shoot I see no reason to not get another one. If I remember right the WASR's have a nut welded to the end of the bbl so adding a flash hider/muzzle break is not an easy task but the M70 had the slant break on it and it was easily changed to a different type.

Somehow there was this splinter group of AK people that started believing that an AK was supposed to be some high end precision rifle. Maybe it was because all the comparing it to an AR. That's just plain nuts! An AK is what it is. THe weapon was designed to be used by anyone no matter their knowledge of weapons...Or even an ability to read. Drag them through mud, use it as a boat paddle, tent stake, they still work. That's what an AK is supposed to be. The uber tacticool AKs costing as much (or more!) as an AR are a little silly to me. If I want an AR I'll get one.

The less expensive AK types out there are a little rough when it comes to fit and finish. But the ones [Century] I've used work just fine. They do what they are supposed to do.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-16-2011, 06:09 AM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
Somehow there was this splinter group of AK people that started believing that an AK was supposed to be some high end precision rifle. Maybe it was because all the comparing it to an AR. That's just plain nuts! An AK is what it is.
Hmmm. That's odd, however there was a guy that popped up here a year or so ago and had some highly modified AKs that he claimed he had confirmed kills (groundhogs) out to 800yds. They looked like it too though! Apparently a decent barrel, like something off a Rem Mod. 700. I could dig up the thread if anyone is interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
The less expensive AK types out there are a little rough when it comes to fit and finish. But the ones [Century] I've used work just fine. They do what they are supposed to do.
I've had great fun finishing my own, DJ. Treat the wood like any other App, degrease, Duracoat and let it cure. . . make you any look you could think of!

Old 02-16-2011, 09:35 AM   #15

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I recently got some wood to replace the black plastic on my M70. It took a lot of degreasing and sanding some dings and tool marks but they come out pretty good. The WASR I had I had redone the wood on it too. It was far from high end looking but I was pretty happy with the results. I was just saying that the lower end of the AK market you will not get the cleanest looking weapon. But they will work,and in my opinion they work pretty well. On another forum I used to post on there was one of those "uber" AK guys. It seemed the whole reason for all the money and custom work was to compete with an AR. While looking around some AR forums back when I got to looking for one for me I run across several of these people. It's their money and they can spend it any way they want. It's not gonna hurt me at all. But when it's my money I'm not dripping over a grand on any AK. Unless it has Stalin's autograph or something like that.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-17-2011, 03:48 AM   #16

Likes Given: 2

well, when i went to buy my century ak47 i am sure glad i looked over them first...
First Ak had a really tight reciever at the mag, the mags would not slide in without a LOT of effort, way to tight...
The seccond ak i took the dust cover off of and 4 people could not get it back on, it was made too long or something...
The third AK was perfect, and i took it home... not an issue yet. sighted in pretty good from the factory.

so just be careful to look over the WHOLE gun before you buy

The G2 trigger is amazing, never expected that on an AK

Old 02-17-2011, 10:07 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've been looking carefully over my Century AK to clean and see what I can polish out and fix and havent found much of anything other than knicked rails that are more than likely my fault. I did have a canted front sight but that can be fixed fairly easily by any half-baked gunsmith. At the time I had to fix mine I was in school and didnt want to mess with it so I had the local guy do it, it was done in a day or two. He had to order a new post but I expected he would anyhow.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:54 AM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My WASR-10 U is great except the iron sites are off bad. The magazine's were hard to get in and out the well at first but better now. Overall you can't go wrong for the price.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:35 AM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Did you get ya one of these Blaine?

TAPCO Windage and Elevation Tool AK-47, SKS - MidwayUSA

If your irons are off then you're in for a lot of frustration and just a little, tiny bit of fun. . .

The above tool will work very well for all adjustments. After you drift the front sight pin for windage, coat the seam around the pin with clear model airplane sealant. (you shouldn't ever have to move it again).

I still prefer the "paddle" for elevation adjustments. There are MANY great after market front sight posts that make a world of difference over the stock post. I can't even list all of the options that will improve your shooting. . .

As for the rear Krebs Custom has a "peep-hole" sight that, if paired up with the right front post can greatly improve results.

Don't just say "The sights are way off", when there are countless options available to modify and improve the irons on an AK. The sights are one of the MAJOR weak points. Folks know about it and have done something (many things) about it too.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:39 AM   #20

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Did you get ya one of these Blaine?

TAPCO Windage and Elevation Tool AK-47, SKS - MidwayUSA

If your irons are off then you're in for a lot of frustration and just a little, tiny bit of fun. . .

The above tool will work very well for all adjustments. After you drift the front sight pin for windage, coat the seam around the pin with clear model airplane sealant. (you shouldn't ever have to move it again).

I still prefer the "paddle" for elevation adjustments. There are MANY great after market front sight posts that make a world of difference over the stock post. I can't even list all of the options that will improve your shooting. . .

As for the rear Krebs Custom has a "peep-hole" sight that, if paired up with the right front post can greatly improve results.

Don't just say "The sights are way off", when there are countless options available to modify and improve the irons on an AK. The sights are one of the MAJOR weak points. Folks know about it and have done something (many things) about it too.
I put a Red Dot on it. Thanks for the info though, I will look into that.