Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Carry bag/case options for AK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2009, 09:54 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Rambler View Post
These packs are pretty cool, we used to use them in South America. This, or something very similar, are standard issue for the Honduran Ranger battalion. It's great for carrying a shotgun in, or swapping your main rifle out to use the shotgun for close work on setups like labs or bunkers. You can run your AW on a three point and just let go of it to grab the secondary.

Eberlestock Gunslinger Backpack systems

It's easy to modify the scabbard pocket by tearing a seam and re-sewing it so you can just take it out and stick it back without a huge amount of effort, but it still holds the weapon fairly securely. As long as you're not banging the stock off of trees and rocks all the time, it's a really convenient item. There's a couple of these pockets that will just barely take an AK or small Streetsweeper drum. And you can reach into the main cavity from the side, so you can carry flares, mags, pistol, canteen or a full size Streetsweeper drum. Or if you're like some of those Honduran dudes, all of the above plus cheese and wine.

You can also drop in a Camel back bladder, for water when you've got to put some distance on without stopping.

This is going to be my main scramble bag for bugging out when SHTF.

'preciate the link, there. I've been missing mine ever since I got out and the shippers "lost" it, along with my Glock 20, the Javelina and some other nifty stuff...
Them are damn nice bags, I wish they had them available back in the early eighties when I was there.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-25-2009, 11:57 PM   #12

I was there from early '84 to June '87, they were just starting to come in about a year before I left there. The first ones were canvas, made by people the Honduran soldiers knew. Then we started cutting up Alice packs and making our own.

Sometime about six months before I left, the first commercial ones were starting to come in, I bought one of those and threw away my old canvas one, it was already starting to rot. This Eberlestock name doesn't ring a bell, I'm pretty sure it was somebody else.

REALLY nice rig, though.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:15 AM   #13

I think I've pretty much narrowed it down to two choices, both from Bulldog. The soft bag is the Bulldog Extreme Tactical, it's got a lot of padding and the four mag pockets plus accessory pocket, like most of these designs. Runs about 30 bucks.

Choice 2 is the Bulldog Tactical, which is a zippered "hard" bag, not really a full hard case, but it's got die cut foam to fit the rifle. I can see myself fumbling to get the rifle out and equipped in a limited time situation like defense or competition, though. Runs around 60 bucks.

Just because of price, I'm leaning towards the first case, and it will just flip open where you can grab the rifle, without having to pry it out of the foam. The second case would be nice for storage with a second rifle, though. They make 'em for AR rifles, also.

Last edited by Route 66 Rambler; 09-30-2009 at 06:17 AM.