Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > can the SKS stay loaded? = or bad for spring?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 02:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default can the SKS stay loaded? = or bad for spring?

On this part of the planet, we can only legally own an SKS with a 5 shot magazine.

Is it possible to store this weopon with the five round mag full, bolt open?

Then, to fire: all that'd be needed is to cock / load a round (*safety* off) pull trigger.

My question is - -over time - does this cause weakening / softening of the spring in the mag?

__________________________________________________ __________

I have a Remington 870 that I keep loaded, 4 in the tube , one in the breech, slide open = been told this is called "Cruiser ready".

Hope to find some similiar system for the SKS = 'ready too use' - - as soon as possible?

__________________________________________________ _____________

GUess the bigger question is "in what state do people here keep their SKS' for ready use?"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-12-2012, 06:07 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8631 Times on 3740 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Being compressed does not wear out springs.

Cruiser ready resulted from one too many rookies turning cruiser into convertible.

Do not know if your bolt will stay open when magazine is loaded.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 02-12-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2688 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

If the 5 round mag is simply a blocked 10 rounder, you would be essentially loading it half full and that would not put much of any strain on a decent spring. That is, of course, assuming yours has a decent spring.

I can load 10 in my standard mag, press the top round down a bit and close the bolt on an empty chamber. To use, I simply pull and release the bolt handle and fire.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball