Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Cal. choice 7.62 or 5.45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Cal. choice 7.62 or 5.45

Am thinking about getting a rifle SKS or AK for my friend. She is kind of medium build. I would like some opinions as to which cal. would be best for her. How much difference in recoil. I expect we may be shooting a lot and I would like her to enjoy it. Would the 7.62 be to much for her?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-12-2010, 08:07 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

If you are concerned about recoil, find a SKS with the longer barrel (not the "paratrooper model"); it will be a bit heavier than the shorter AK-type rifle. The 7.62x39 is often compared to the 30-30 cartridge, power-level wise.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:08 PM   #3

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Well, how much experience does she have shooting and handling rifles?

If she is inexperienced and needs to shoot a lesser calber with low recoil, I personally would go up and opt for an AR in .223. That would be much better to start her out with, IMHO, it has low recoil and she should handle it fine. Once she is comfortable with shooting, then move her up to the AK 7.62 and see if she can handle a little recoil. You may want to do a little work on the trigger though, depending on the make of AK, to get rid of the trigger slap, it may bother her some.

This way you have two very useful calibers and rifles.

Now who's this rifle really for anyhow, you or her?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-12-2010, 09:55 PM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

The 7.62x39 is very easy to manage.

If you went with a 5.45, plan on stocking up on ammo, especially while it is cheap. All of the 5.45 ammo is imported (as far as I know). With a swipe of a pen the supply could go away.

7.62x39 is made domestically.

A good friend bought a VZ52 in 7.62x45 back in the 90's and loved it. The ammo was dirt cheap, until supplies dried up. Now it is a wall hanger, for the most part.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-12-2010, 10:22 PM   #5

Likes Given: 1

Default Thanks

Appreciate the replys all info is helpful.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:00 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post

If you went with a 5.45, plan on stocking up on ammo, especially while it is cheap. All of the 5.45 ammo is imported (as far as I know). With a swipe of a pen the supply could go away.

I love the 5.45 x 39mm round. . . but as M14 stated it is only made in certain countries and we only have cheap access to surplus supply because these countries have an enormous stockpile and importation is currently kosher.

It is NOT expensive to stock up on a near-lifetime supply of that round. 4-5 cases will last a good while.

The 7.62 has considerably more recoil than the 5.45, but can be adapted to over a couple sessions.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:01 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

7.62 x 39mm is the way to go..

Old 09-16-2010, 02:47 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

For a woman who is not going to do a whole lot of shooting, I would go with an AK in 5.45 by 39 because the recoil is less. About the only time most women go shooting is when the husband or boyfriend takes them. Figure that she'll go about twice a year to a range. If that's the case, make it so that when she does go shooting she'll enjoy it more by letting her have a rifle that doesn't kick her around the range. That's why I say 5.45 AK.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:39 PM   #9

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post

A good friend bought a VZ52 in 7.62x45 back in the 90's and loved it. The ammo was dirt cheap, until supplies dried up. Now it is a wall hanger, for the most part.
A very good point many forget to mention with .22 caliber AK's. It is the reason all of my AK-47's are 7.62 X 39 MM. Also, I believe a .30 caliber is simply a better cartridge ballistically. With that said, 5.45 ammo can be had very cheaply. As was mentioned if you go with a 5.45, just be sure to purchase as much ammo as you can possibly afford. A gun without ammo is a club. Bill T.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:55 AM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon 173 View Post
For a woman who is not going to do a whole lot of shooting, I would go with an AK in 5.45 by 39 because the recoil is less. About the only time most women go shooting is when the husband or boyfriend takes them. Figure that she'll go about twice a year to a range. If that's the case, make it so that when she does go shooting she'll enjoy it more by letting her have a rifle that doesn't kick her around the range. That's why I say 5.45 AK.
then she souldnt be shooting an ak. more like an AR15 with a recoil compensator in the stock.

thats like a shoot 9mm 1911 you just dont get the full effect. and further more i dont want to just wound someone or something but the 5.45 would also not be a very good hunting weapon either. thats just me though.