Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   bullet guide installation. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/bullet-guide-installation-82494/)

potentialglock 01-26-2013 12:10 PM

bullet guide installation.

Anybody have any experience with installing a bullet guide? I get the concept however I'm mildly nervous about doing it without any experience. Hints, tips, and any other help would be appreciated.

AleksiR 01-26-2013 01:33 PM

Are you installing a bullet guide you bought somewhere or are you making it yourself? Making one yourself is fairly easy and mounting a bullet guide you already have is even easier.

potentialglock 01-26-2013 02:37 PM

I'll be mounting one I bought

AleksiR 01-26-2013 07:20 PM

Then there's really not much to it. If it came with instructions, use those. If it didn't, here's a good instructional video

Edit: Just make sure the bolt can rotate freely over the bullet guide. After that, drill and tap the trunnion and attach the bullet guide with the screw (probably came with the bullet guide). I used blue loctite to secure the screw on my Saiga and it hasn't worked itself loose.

Ultimate_sig 02-06-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AleksiR (Post 1111245)
Then there's really not much to it. If it came with instructions, use those. If it didn't, here's a good instructional video Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr9XijAw3e8

Edit: Just make sure the bolt can rotate freely over the bullet guide. After that, drill and tap the trunnion and attach the bullet guide with the screw (probably came with the bullet guide). I used blue loctite to secure the screw on my Saiga and it hasn't worked itself loose.

I'm curious what's the purpose of this

AleksiR 02-08-2013 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig (Post 1126319)
I'm curious what's the purpose of this

The bullet guide? Most Saiga rifles don't accept normal AK mags out-of-the-box, but use an Izhmash made mag. On these the front wall of the magazine is slighlty higher than on normal AK mags and acts as a bullet guide, or a feed ramp and lifts the cartridge in the correct angle to feed it in the chamber. Also the rear locking tab is slightly thinner on the Izhmash mags. If you try to use a normal AK mag in a Saiga without the bullet guide, the nose of the bullet won't clear edge of the chamber and will get jammed.

Not sure if I made any sense, but feel free to ask more if I didn't :D

Ultimate_sig 02-08-2013 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AleksiR (Post 1128793)

The bullet guide? Most Saiga rifles don't accept normal AK mags out-of-the-box, but use an Izhmash made mag. On these the front wall of the magazine is slighlty higher than on normal AK mags and acts as a bullet guide, or a feed ramp and lifts the cartridge in the correct angle to feed it in the chamber. Also the rear locking tab is slightly thinner on the Izhmash mags. If you try to use a normal AK mag in a Saiga without the bullet guide, the nose of the bullet won't clear edge of the chamber and will get jammed.

Not sure if I made any sense, but feel free to ask more if I didn't :D

Makes perfect sense. I know exactly what your talking about. I have a Vepr, which is very similar to a saiga, and i got poly mags. They didnt fit right so i had to take a file to it.

Since poly mags can be filed if i get it to lock in would i still need a bullet guide. Prior to filing the mags would go into place but not lock

AleksiR 02-08-2013 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig (Post 1128814)
Makes perfect sense. I know exactly what your talking about. I have a Vepr, which is very similar to a saiga, and i got poly mags. They didnt fit right so i had to take a file to it.

Since poly mags can be filed if i get it to lock in would i still need a bullet guide. Prior to filing the mags would go into place but not lock

The normal AK mags didn't lock up in the Saiga either, so I took a dremel tool to the mag catch. Don't really know if you'll need a bullet guide as I have no idea what receivers are like on the Veprs. Load a couple of snap-caps into the mag and see if they'll feed correctly.

potentialglock 02-08-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig (Post 1128814)

I still need the bullet guide. My mags lock up once u slap them on the bottom like a dirty Russian whore. But the bullets won't feed correctly

trip286 02-08-2013 12:07 PM

Lots of great things happen when things get slapped on the bottom like a dirty Russian whore. I love slapping things on the bottom like a dirty Russian whore! Dirty Russian whore bottoms!