Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > to build or to buy in the panic period

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
flounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 7
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default to build or to buy in the panic period

got in a lengthy discussion with friends and fellow firearm enthusiasts as to buy or build since everyone's buying everything in this latest panic:

basically one friend of mine insists on building an ak from a parts kit he purchased a year ago, while myself and another friend argued it was safer just to buy, even at the inflated costs.

he says its legal to build one for himself including the receiver from a pre made flat and it doesn't require any registration or any serial no printing on it to match the no.s on the barrel in the kit as long as he doesn't sell it.

we disagreed, and argued he could get in some serious trouble if he tried firing it at a local rifle range and the RSO or an attending off duty leo noticed its not so professional finished look.

not really seeking legal advice, i just noticed a lot of build threads here( that didn't necessarily answer the question) so i thought i'd see what others on this forum thought or knew.

__________________
flounder is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 01-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fa35jsf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The greatest country in the world, Texas!
Posts: 1,121
Liked 526 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 203

Default

Well I am not sure about AK's, but if you want to do a little reading to educate yourself a little more, just google 80% AR lower. From what I have read, it is completely legal to build yourself a gun out of parts and an unfinished receiver so long as the following conditions are met:
1) You do all the work yourself. You can not outsource the job to any machine shop or even a friend.
2) You do not sell, transfer, gift, or in anyway get rid of the firearm to someone else.

As far as the local LEO, many police don't know all the laws. There is so many I don't know how they ever would. So some more googling might produce the letter from the ATF or some other law that could be printed off and shown to anybody that happens to question your fine workmanship.

__________________
fa35jsf is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:03 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf View Post
Well I am not sure about AK's, but if you want to do a little reading to educate yourself a little more, just google 80% AR lower. From what I have read, it is completely legal to build yourself a gun out of parts and an unfinished receiver so long as the following conditions are met:
1) You do all the work yourself. You can not outsource the job to any machine shop or even a friend.
2) You do not sell, transfer, gift, or in anyway get rid of the firearm to someone else.

As far as the local LEO, many police don't know all the laws. There is so many I don't know how they ever would. So some more googling might produce the letter from the ATF or some other law that could be printed off and shown to anybody that happens to question your fine workmanship.
would those two rules apply if the reciever you are using is a manufactured reciever with a serial number? Or are these rules just for building on a reciever without a serial number?
__________________
thanson is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:26 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fa35jsf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The greatest country in the world, Texas!
Posts: 1,121
Liked 526 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 203

Default

These rules apply for building out a receiver that has no serial number that you bought without the trigger housing milled out. So it is not a receiver but rather a paperweight as the government is concerned.

As far as building a rifle from a kit including a receiver that was bought and has a serial number and has undergone a FFL transfer, that is perfectly legal.

I must put on here that I am not a lawyer and this does not constitute legal advice. This is just my understanding of the laws

__________________
fa35jsf is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:42 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf View Post
These rules apply for building out a receiver that has no serial number that you bought without the trigger housing milled out. So it is not a receiver but rather a paperweight as the government is concerned.

As far as building a rifle from a kit including a receiver that was bought and has a serial number and has undergone a FFL transfer, that is perfectly legal.

I must put on here that I am not a lawyer and this does not constitute legal advice. This is just my understanding of the laws
thats what I thought, but ya never know, there are miles of red tape and law after law. I would think that even if if there were a gun ban I would be grandfathered in because I bought everything before
__________________
thanson is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:49 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fa35jsf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The greatest country in the world, Texas!
Posts: 1,121
Liked 526 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 203

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanson View Post
thats what I thought, but ya never know, there are miles of red tape and law after law. I would think that even if if there were a gun ban I would be grandfathered in because I bought everything before
Here is the problem with all of this. Federal laws are not to hard to figure out and follow since after all they are the same everywhere. State laws on the other hand are a whole other story. Best advice I can give you is ask somebody in the business if you are really interested. If you build your own from a kit and a paperweight lower (read uncompleted lower receiver) then there won't be any of the usual paperwork connected to that firearm, therefore nothing for big brother to dig into. That is unless they are monitoring your bank account purchases (putting on the tin foil hat for laughs).
__________________
fa35jsf is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:14 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MachineHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 75
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Personally I have built both ar 80% lowers and ak-47 parts kits and have threads on here for both in the DIY section. Also rebuilt two belt fed machine guns and converted them to semi auto. The question you need to be asking is if you can do it. They are completely safe and legal to build and there is no paper trail but not everyone can tackle the project. If you trust your own work then I would build one, if not buy one for three times the money. Also you are legally allowed to sell one parts kit build a year without any issue but has to be marked with your personal info.

__________________
MachineHead is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
flounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 7
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

appreciate the informative posts and responses, though now i owe him a six pack of his favorite brew because i bet him we 'd come across something here referring us to its illegality. but happy to know its within the law as he and you here have suggested.

thanks fellow enthusiasts.

__________________
flounder is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:36 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mongo43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: N.E. Oklahoma
Posts: 62
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

I seen a post a while back where a guy built an AK lower out of an old garden shovel. Put it together with a parts kit and has a functional AK.

__________________
mongo43 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:41 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Wiebelhaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belton,Texas
Posts: 970
Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Default

I don't know man, that Ruger Gun site Scout as Jeff Cooper imagined it is looking very interesting considering what may be coming at us this year.

__________________

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Wiebelhaus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
I'm getting tired of all the panic CrazedJava The Club House 20 01-02-2013 12:29 AM
Gun Show Panic Buying - Las Vegas - Dec 2012 Bigcountry02 The Club House 2 01-01-2013 10:01 AM
Does your car keychain have a panic button? downsouth The Club House 9 02-14-2012 01:23 AM
Silent Panic Button for iPhone / iPad detroitarms Training & Safety 10 02-07-2011 08:32 PM