A better way to clean your bore&barrel
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > A better way to clean your bore&barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 02:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default A better way to clean your bore&barrel

image-3685024720.jpg

Being new to any kind of forum, I wanted to share the most effective way to really clean your rifle/pistol and so on! So here lies my cleaning jag(30cal) with little rubber rigs which I use with USP bore paste. Any ways the slogan of the cleaning jag is the proofs and the patch. It is made by a local gun shop here in up State NY, and also they make their own circular patches according to caliber size. As you can see when you pass the patch through breach to muzzle you quickly can see the brass and copper on patch. I know timely cleaning can be annoying with this method but nothing removes your fire arms crap better than. My cleaning routine is run oiled patch and then bore paste with jag and sized circular patch and until I see no more brass copper of brass on patch.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-27-2012, 02:38 AM   #2

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Interesting, but I'm so lazy I hard get around to even running a bore snake through my AK.

In my 45/70, would be a nice tool since I get a bit of leading due to using cast bullets without a gas check.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

image-2208078734.jpg

Better angle to see brass and coper on patch

Old 06-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCRS
Interesting, but I'm so lazy I hard get around to even running a bore snake through my AK.

In my 45/70, would be a nice tool since I get a bit of leading due to using cast bullets without a gas check.
I do know exactly what you mean, timely cleaning in most cases is highly annoying. Since I started using this method I've become a little OCP with my cleaning antics. The performance is awesome, the gunsmith had me bring in my AR after some shooting and then clean it my old way, and I got to see the bore and barrel through a bore scope and the garbage and build in places is clearly there. So we cleaned it his way with his stuff and looked again and...wow. It was cool to see so close inside my barrel and with a second cleaning his way was proof solid and sold me to their method.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbailnick

I do know exactly what you mean, timely cleaning in most cases is highly annoying. Since I started using this method I've become a little OCP with my cleaning antics. The performance is awesome, the gunsmith had me bring in my AR after some shooting and then clean it my old way, and I got to see the bore and barrel through a bore scope and the garbage and build in places is clearly there. So we cleaned it his way with his stuff and looked again and...wow. It was cool to see so close inside my barrel and with a second cleaning his way was proof solid and sold me to their method.
If you don't mind, pm me the Smith who is making these. Could use one in .458 for my 45/70 and possibly 30-30

Old 06-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #6

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Yes, please PM me also, this looks like a very good method to me.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 06-28-2012, 01:13 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCRS

If you don't mind, pm me the Smith who is making these. Could use one in .458 for my 45/70 and possibly 30-30
.458 funny you mention I was at the range the other day and this older gentleman had .458 Winchester magnum and I was able to shot just 2rds and my hand was done for even with its gigantic grip and he modify some kind of fore grip on it.. Dam elbow breaker cannon blaster this thing was!

Old 06-28-2012, 01:20 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

image-3474775354.jpg

Here's the USP bore paste and gun oil combo pack

Old 06-28-2012, 02:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbailnick View Post
.458 funny you mention I was at the range the other day and this older gentleman had .458 Winchester magnum and I was able to shot just 2rds and my hand was done for even with its gigantic grip and he modify some kind of fore grip on it.. Dam elbow breaker cannon blaster this thing was!
Hah I was just meaning for bore size. The marlin 45-70 1895s use a 458 bore size. Some of the older ones vary a bit more.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:19 AM   #10

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

I checked out the web site and I'm going to order one in .22 for my rimfires and AR-15, one in 30 cal for my 03-06 and one in 45 for my 450 Bushmaster. Thanks for this post!

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper