Best sks made? In your opinion... - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion >

Best sks made? In your opinion...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2010, 02:39 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

In the food-chain of SKS life, the CHICOM guns are considered by pretty much anyone who can spell SKS as being right up there with the Russians, especially given that Russia started their factories for them.

The Chinese didn't have the wide-spread reqt that their guns fire grenades, so none of the weight-adding grenade-launching stuff the Yugo's have on most of their SKS.

"Norinco" itself is just a front company for exports, along with "PolyTech", and were basically the export company of the Chinese govt.
They emptied their bunkers of unused and obsolete PLA and Peoples Militia SKS guns straight into the hands of American consumers.

Some importers - like Navy Arms for instance, even had some of them modified into Cowboy's Companion, Farmers Friend, mag-fed SKS-Ds and Ms, and the "Paratroopers".

Because the Chinese are so inscrutably secret; we have no reliable build-date info available on their SKS guns so as to allow the CHICOM guns to be classified as C&R.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:18 AM   #12

of course everyone their SKS is better. I have a russian it's better.. I have a chicom it's better..... I have a yugo it's better....... I have a pile of rocks it's better? get my drift? depends on the shooter and the conditions.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:05 AM   #13

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I really don't know truth be told. I've shot tons of them and for the most part they are about the same. Right now I have the Norinco and it's been a really good rifle. Is it better? Not really. It's far from junk though. And I like being able to use my AK mags in them. I've kept 10 rounds in a pie plate at 250 yds. with iron sights and bulk ammo. Since I changes the stock it handles a little better but that's more a personal preference. I don't see it making it group any better. If anything it just allows me to make it smaller (collapsible) and gives it a little more modern look.

Look, you're still not giving all that much for the SKS's these days. No one expects a tack driver. They are a pretty inexpensive and really fun rifle to shoot. That's why I still have one. I'm not looking to win marksman of the year with it.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:17 AM   #14

Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old 04-30-2010, 01:19 AM   #15

Default chicom

With my chicom norinco ($90 new in 1994)...I can hit a 9" square steel plate at 90 yds with an open site........good enough for what I paid for it. As for quality, it hasn't jammed in 500 rounds. The SKS's were designed for mass production and intended to kill or wound at or under 200 yards. ANY of the various makes are more than adequate should defocation hit the rotorary oscillater. Think of these as minuteman specials....throw them under the bed with two hundred rounds and fo getta bout em.....unless SHTF.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:59 PM   #16

Liked 320 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 426

The Yugo M59-66A1.
If you get a good one.
I had one that was all matching numbers,beautiful wood.

Me and a buddy modded it (and yes,we did so in such a way as to ensure easy return to original spec).
We put a 20 round Chinese fixed mag in it and a TechSights peep that almost doubled sight radius and made the gun a little more accurate-but accuracy isnt what needed improvement-it was just icing on the cake.

If I remember correctly,we were getting better than 2 inch groups at 100 yards-and that was with Wolf.The peep sights made the groups a little tighter and a bit faster to print.

The only thing I didnt really like about the Yugo was the lack of chrome in the bore/chamber.

Otherwise-they are built like no other SKS-super solid and well machined,and they have that really cool rifle grenade launcher-just more icing on the cake.
"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul."
-Mahatma Gandhi

http://jpfo.org/
III%

Last edited by KalashnikovJosh; 05-10-2010 at 09:38 PM.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:57 AM   #17

At .25/round, I've rediscovered the simple fun of my Norinco, despite acquiring a second Enfield "Jungle Carbine" and first Mauser (Yugo 48A).

As 7.62x39 is so cheap and widely available, the SKS is my main plinker along with the ancient Savage .22.
This Russian and other foreign ammo will go up a good bit in the future as the US dollar weakens, due to the huge federal deficits.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:54 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you're talking about which is better for combat, the integral grenade launcher (and gas shut-off valve) of the Yugo would be a nice feature. The Russians had a detachable grenade launcher for their SKS, but there was no provision for shutting off the rifle's gas system.

I like my Russian SKS better than my Yugo SKS, basically because the Yugo was about worn out when I bought it. I replaced the gas valve and now it works better, but it's still not 99+ % reliable like the typical Russian or Chinese SKS.
I read that Yugoslavia loaded their 7.62x39 ammo hotter than other countries did; perhaps that is part of the problem? Maybe the Yugo would be 99+ % reliable with Yugoslav ammo?

Old 06-02-2010, 07:54 PM   #19

Liked 320 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 426

ofitg-There were alot of Yugo SKS rifles used in the civil wars that broke out in the region back in the 90's.I dont know all the details,but I believe there was alot of actual battlefield surplus channeled to the market here,and some rifles had seen some serious wartime abuse.
I do remember seeing a clip of news footage somewhere of the M59-66A1 being used in one of those conflicts by a fighter to launch rifle grenades.
As far as Yugo's using a hotter loading-I cant remember coming across that info anywhere.

Mine would do well with any sort of ammo I fed it from Wolf to Golden Tiger to milsurp stuff-it fed from those 20 round Tapco detachable 'duckbills' just fine,and it fed from its OEM 10 round fixed,and it was at its best with the 20 round Chinese fixed mag.

In all that-maybe over 1500 rounds,I never had a single hiccup.

Perhaps you got a REAL war trophy?

In that case,I would recommend relegating it to a 'collectible status' as it might be a historically valuable weapon.

I do know that the factory that made the M59-66A1 -Red Banner- is no longer around,and the rifle I got was a relativity hard to find unissued piece,as just about every weapon that was around at the time of the civil wars of that region was used.

So it does sort of take the Yugo out of the running a bit as to the 'best SKS ever',because they arent nearly as widely available as others.

BUT-if you manage to find a nice unissued Yugo M59-66A1 rifle,you should jump on it-I personally believe that it is one of the finest SKS rifles ever made.
"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul."
-Mahatma Gandhi

http://jpfo.org/
III%

Old 06-02-2010, 08:39 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here is a reference to the "hot" Yugo ammo - see the third post -

Yugoslavian M67 7.62x39mm from Century - Report

However, I don't know how relevant it is. Based upon the many reports I have read (including yours), I should probably accept the fact that a good Yugo will function properly with any milspec 7.62x39 ammo.

I think you are correct, my Yugo is a veteran and it has the scars to prove it. I still like to shoot it sometimes, and getting a jam every 30-40 rounds isn't really so bad.
If I come across a better-shooting Yugo, heck yes, I would like to buy it.