Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > best brand of ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2011, 12:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default best brand of ammo?

whats the best brand of ammo some of you all have used with your sks?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-07-2011, 12:26 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Silver or Golden Bear works great. Heck any 7.62x39 works fine in my sks and ak. I feed them a constant diet of steel cased Russian bulk and have not had a single issue.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:34 AM   #3

steel case wont mess up the barrel?

Old 10-07-2011, 12:35 AM   #4

Dont use wolf its the worst brand it messes up your rifle pretty fast

Old 10-07-2011, 02:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCscoutsniper View Post
I rarely do this, but I'm calling total BS on that statement. There are thousands and thousands of people who have fired thousands and thousands of rounds of Wolf through multiple rifles without issue. Yes it's dirty, dirtier than some, but it wont "mess up your rifle pretty fast", or at all for that matter.

There are some rifles that don't handle steel case ammo well, but in AKs and SKSs it works wonderfully.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 10-08-2011, 07:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7

I rarely do this, but I'm calling total BS on that statement. There are thousands and thousands of people who have fired thousands and thousands of rounds of Wolf through multiple rifles without issue. Yes it's dirty, dirtier than some, but it wont "mess up your rifle pretty fast", or at all for that matter.

There are some rifles that don't handle steel case ammo well, but in AKs and SKSs it works wonderfully.

-Fred
Well with my AR i put 200 rounds of wolf thru it and it messed up my fireing pin

Old 10-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #7

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownspitbull View Post
steel case wont mess up the barrel?
It was made for steel case ammo!
Quote:
I agree with FCross7 that this statement is total BS! Also agree that Wolf is a dirty ammo & even to the point of being very under powered in the Wolf Military Classic.

The best ammo is the one that works best in your rifle!
I have tried many different brands in my Yugo SKS every thing from mil-surp stuff to the US made brands.
The one that works all the time in all conditions, never had any problem with cycling and from batch to batch my sights never needed adjustment is Golden Tiger. It will cost a little more but it is worth every cent.
Here is where I get mine.
7.62x39*Golden Tiger 7.62x39mm - 124gr FMJ - 1000 rds*A762GT

Last edited by 7.62 Man; 10-08-2011 at 09:15 PM.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:32 PM   #8

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Effen Troll!

This kid is only repeating what he read on arfcom. His experience begins and ends with airsoft.

Quote:
Well with my AR i put 200 rounds of wolf thru it and it messed up my fireing pin
Wolf has pretty soft primers. So, no it didn't. And its FIRING pin.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Last edited by willfully armed; 10-08-2011 at 09:35 PM.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:58 AM   #9

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts

I had an SKS about a decade ago that we traded along with 100 bucks cash for a stainless steel and synthetic Winchster Model 70 in .243 Winchester... I love that rifle and will never let it go. With that said, I began to desire a semi auto with more power than my .22 and I thought what better than getting back to an SKS? I found one of those mysterious "DP" models with all matching serial numbers and on an impulse brought it home. I took it out with 3 brands of ammo (TulAmmo, Wolf, and Winchester white box) and the Wolf was by far the most consistent and it would seem that the rifle was sighted in using a similiar ammo as I did not have to move either sight... I had NO PROBLEMS with the Wolf and it fed the TulAmmo very well, it just wasn't sighted for the slightly lighter bullet. I am happy with the performance Wolf provided and for the difference in price from Wolf to Winchester I will shoot more often and simply clean it a bit more frequently...

Old 10-10-2011, 05:14 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
I think there was probably a different reason behind your problem. A good AR will fire steel case ammo w/ no problems. I know because thats almost all I use in mine.