Best Ak for around $500 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Best Ak for around $500

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 07:12 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Do the Saiga's take the standard AK mags or Saiga mags only?
Honest answer? Depends. Promags may or may not work out of the box. Some fitting may be required. AK mags may fit loosely. But they will generally run with acceptable dependability. A little bit of wobble is nothing to worry about.

Or so I read. Never owned an AK myself.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Last edited by tCan; 04-22-2012 at 07:14 AM.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:35 AM   #12

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts

This is my saiga after conversion... I love the feel of it a lot more now... When you order the kit from Carolina shooter supply get the upgrade houge grip and also buy the new hammer spring... This worth the new tapco trigger my gun is around 3-4lb smooth pull...

As for ak mags.. The part that locks into the gun doesn't fit since it to big so u can do 2 things... 1 mod each mag... I don't like this idea cuz if I ever want a real ak47 down the road they won't fit it then... Or 2. You can lightly shave the mag catch so they fit..

But you will also need to get a bullet guide since the mag lip on the 47 mags are lower and don't push the round up and into the chamber..

There is a few vid on YouTube how to do it... Really not that hard took me about 3 hrs but was manly since I didn't have a vise so I had a hard time drilling out the rivets..

Oh and I find the tapco pmags work the best... Just sucks I can't take them out of my house since they are evil in ny!!!! I got a few Preban metal ones that no one will bother me over tho!

Put a sign in your front yard that reads "Gun Free House" & see where the criminals go.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:49 AM   #13

Ooopsss forgot to add the pic!!

Put a sign in your front yard that reads "Gun Free House" & see where the criminals go.

image-1776019166.jpg  

Old 04-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #14

Liked 54 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Do the Saiga's take the standard AK mags or Saiga mags only?
Out of the box the Saiga take their own mags. Carolina Shooting Supply (and probably others) have a very inexpensive conversion kit (<20.00) that allows it to accept AK mags. The downside is you will have to do a small amount of filing on each AK mag you get. The upside is these AK mags are 1/2 the price of the Saiga.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick3411

Out of the box the Saiga take their own mags. Carolina Shooting Supply (and probably others) have a very inexpensive conversion kit (<20.00) that allows it to accept AK mags. The downside is you will have to do a small amount of filing on each AK mag you get. The upside is these AK mags are 1/2 the price of the Saiga.
Why mod multiple mags and spend all that money... I have 10 ak47 mags that were 15.00 each.. 150 is a lot to then kick away if you ever get rid of the gun... File the mag catch and IF you sell the gun just buy a new mag catch or sell one mag that fits the mag catch now and let the new buyer worry about it.. I will never get away from an ak47 but I might down the road buy one better than a saiga... Once I move out of new York that is!!!

Old 04-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #16

this might be a stupid question but i need to know if i have an ak-47 and i converted to a saiga will it still be a rifle or a shotgun?

Old 04-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #17

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalveternsoldier34
this might be a stupid question but i need to know if i have an ak-47 and i converted to a saiga will it still be a rifle or a shotgun?
I think you've got things a little confused here man. Saiga makes 7.62 battle rifles that can be converted to AK-47 style rifles, you wouldn't go the other way around. And they also produce a 12 ga magazine fed semi auto shotgun

Old 04-23-2012, 12:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaysWithZombies View Post
I think you've got things a little confused here man. Saiga makes 7.62 battle rifles that can be converted to AK-47 style rifles, you wouldn't go the other way around. And they also produce a 12 ga magazine fed semi auto shotgun
ok thanks im not to familiar with the ak 47 yet i know the history and the orgin of the weapon but not the complete background yet and i appeciate the feedback

Old 04-23-2012, 01:00 AM   #19

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalveternsoldier34

ok thanks im not to familiar with the ak 47 yet i know the history and the orgin of the weapon but not the complete background yet and i appeciate the feedback
No problem man. If you're new to the AK you might be better off to pick up a used wasr 10 for a couple hundred bucks to make sure you really like the platform before shelling out the cash for a saiga. But if you're certain you want one saigas are really good rifles.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:04 AM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't think he is interested in an AK I think you was reading the thread and got confused... I'm the OP... How complicated is it to convert a saiga? What tools needed etc...