Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Anyone seen this? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/anyone-seen-17257/)

krazykelley 08-23-2009 06:05 PM

Anyone seen this?

Okay, so heres the deal. I'm a fan of the AK. I'm always trying to find way's to make them more effective (even if I can only afford some of them :p). I almost bought the AK Lightning Bolt when it came out, but when I did some more research, it seemed a lot less awesome than it did to begin with. Now I just saw this sight today.
http://www.dublinaksystems.com/
This seems to have a lot more potential than the lightning bolt ever did. What do you guys think?

Dillinger 08-23-2009 06:16 PM

Well, I understand the idea behind it. They took a very good idea from the H&K MP series and adapted it.

I am curious about the "no gunsmithing skills" required aspect of the installation.

In the pictures, the first picture on the home page just looks like cheap, stamped metal, cut with a dremel tool, waiting to cut your hand wide open. :eek:

However, I think the operational upside can be balanced against the quality of the product.

It's an interesting idea that I would love to see someone here ( CANEBREAK ) buy this and put it through it's paces...

JD

SGT-MILLER 08-23-2009 08:30 PM

I am going to take a guess that the system will encounter problems in wet/muddy conditions.

It's a very good idea, but I think it may hinder the AK design, rather than move it forward. I don't see any reduction on reload times on the ratchet system versus the standard charging handle. I can see a market for this in the urban engagement sector, though (LE, SWAT, HRT type stuff). If they don't sell much here in the US, I'm sure they can make a killing (no pun intended) in Europe.

IGETEVEN 08-23-2009 09:24 PM

I concur with Sgt that is will probably have some use in the urban engagement realm here in the U.S. if tested and utilized. I can also see it being utilized extensively over in the in the "sand box" and in Africa, where a majority of the weapons are Russian made AK's. It's inexpensive and it does modify an existing AK to function better and give the operator better control and sight picture. If I had an AK, I would probably invest in this, if anything for the sight, maintenance and operator control advantages.

* Bolt locking system with release
* Built from the finest metals
* Allows for faster reloading
* Easier function for a right handed operator
* Quicker cooling
* Unlike other left sided charging systems, with the Ratchet Charging system you can use your left side optics rail
* Easier Cleaning
* Safety can be engaged when chambering a round (if old handle is discarded)
* Visual safety, when chamber is open while bolt is in locked position
* The operator no longer loses sight picture while loading
* Long lasting black matte finish
* Self cleaning design allows dirt and debris to easily exit the gas tube.
* Easier to clear miss feed
* Unproblematic reloading when firing from the prone position.

Jack

cpttango30 08-23-2009 10:07 PM

It look fine till that handle catches your thumb and rips is the hell off.

krazykelley 08-23-2009 10:49 PM

Yeah, I thought about that, but if your rifle has a forward vertical grip I don't see it as a problem. Besides, idk about how you guys run your AKs, but I don't have my support hand thumb way the hell up on the gas tube (where it would have to be to get smacked by the handle), when I run mine.

skullcrusher 08-23-2009 11:04 PM

Yea. How do you guys run your AK's.

cpttango30 08-24-2009 12:22 AM

I don't run an AK.

I am just saying in the video clip he was shooting (WITHOUT the stupid vert grip). and that charging handle was getting mighty close to his hand. This is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Look a guy sued smith over the 460 smith because he blew his own finger off because HE put it in the wrong place.

krazykelley 08-24-2009 02:46 AM

And since they look like a pretty small company, and they probably couldn't handle a "spilled hot coffee" incident. You have a point there tango.

SGT-MILLER 08-24-2009 02:57 AM

Easy fix. Put a disclaimer with the instructions.

DO NOT any part of your body in the path of the bolt at any time when handling the firearm. Doing so may cause injury during operation.