Any way to tell if my Yugo SKS was issued?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Any way to tell if my Yugo SKS was issued?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 04:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default Any way to tell if my Yugo SKS was issued?

I have a Yugo SKS with a U series serial number. This means it was from 1984, near the end of the cold war. I have read that if it was made before 1974 there's a good chance it was issued in the war with Bosnia. I also read that when they were imported in large numbers, a few years back, the crates came with log books of each SKS's status, issue date, etc. Unfortunately, these books were lost or discarded. Is there anyway to tell if my SKS rifle was issued or not?
I know it went through 2, and possibly 3 owners before me, when I got it, it had the same ATI fiberglass stock on it, that it does now. It still has the original bayonet and grenade launcher. However, upon closer inspection, the bolt and bolt carrier are the same serial number, but not the same as the original SKS. They are the only non original parts, besides the stock.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-28-2012, 04:45 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5648 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Otherthan having the original documents of origin, nope. But a detailed inspection of parts and a very good throat erosion and muzzle erosion gaging will tell roughly how much its been used. You can tell right off if its been counterbored as the first 2 inches of rifling at the muzzle will be totally gone and it will look like a smoothbore in that section. If thats the case its been shot so much that someone at some point bored it out to restore some accuracy.

Counter boring is all to common in sks, m1 garands m1 carbines 1903 springfields and some models of mosin 91/30 especially the m44's

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 11-28-2012 at 04:49 AM.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
Otherthan having the original documents of origin, nope. But a detailed inspection of parts and a very good throat erosion and muzzle erosion gaging will tell roughly how much its been used. You can tell right off if its been counterbored as the first 2 inches of rifling at the muzzle will be totally gone and it will look like a smoothbore in that section. If thats the case its been shot so much that someone at some point bored it out to restore some accuracy.
Quite possibly so. It did have two previous owners, I know of, not counting the Yugoslavian army.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #4

Liked 3858 Times on 1863 Posts
Likes Given: 701

I got lucky. My Mosin bayonet had a Nazi head still attached to it. I'm pretty sure it was used in ww2.
Check your bayonet for a skull, or possibly a helmet.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

therewolf Likes This 
Old 11-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin
I got lucky. My Mosin bayonet had a Nazi head still attached to it. I'm pretty sure it was used in ww2.
Check your bayonet for a skull, or possibly a helmet.
Oh dang, there was a skull on it! Thanks!
I made it into a coffee mug

Old 11-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Pics?

Have you checked out the firing pin area for built-up crud & condition? They have been known to get crudded into firing position, potentially causing a slamfire situation. They sell a spring-equipped model to help avoid the problem.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/firing-pins/sks-enhanced-firing-pin-prod24637.aspx

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #7

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizord1

Oh dang, there was a skull on it! Thanks!
I made it into a coffee mug
A real nazi head? What dies he mean??

Old 11-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
Pics?

Have you checked out the firing pin area for built-up crud & condition? They have been known to get crudded into firing position, potentially causing a slamfire situation. They sell a spring-equipped model to help avoid the problem.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/firing-pins/sks-enhanced-firing-pin-prod24637.aspx
I have had 4 slam fires, and my pin is worn
I need to get another. I am debating whether to get an aftermarket spring pin or a factory pin. They are almost the same price. I could prolly sill shoot it, but I have read other peoples blog about the same problem. Most said that they had a lot of FTFs (which mine has been doin for awhile), and eventually, a cartridge would not seat in full battery or break off in the chamber. One guy said that a cartridge got stuck in his, and explode when he tried to work on it.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357

A real nazi head? What dies he mean??
It seems there was a complete skull on it that I completely missed! I made it into a coffee mug, that you pour in through the eye socket, and drink it from the cranium.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:30 AM   #10

Liked 2186 Times on 1289 Posts
Likes Given: 474

The easiest way that you used to be able to tell was to have the original stock with carved grafitti in it. Then you knew for sure.