Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Any Thoughts On The SKS? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/any-thoughts-sks-90965/)

PanBaccha 05-20-2013 12:46 PM

Any Thoughts On The SKS?

1 Attachment(s)
I've been eyeing the Russian, Romanian, and Chinese SKS lately. Watched its prices go up and down everywhere. Anyone have any experience with the SKS? Pro and con?

kytowboater 05-20-2013 01:08 PM

I have a chicom sks. With the spike bayonet. I like it

mich1377usmc 05-20-2013 02:08 PM

^^++1 mine is a chicom " franken " sks w/ spike also, it shoots well with no problems for the past 25 years. In fact my wife has now laid claim to it..... LOL

Overkill0084 05-20-2013 02:24 PM

Pro: More fun than anything that inexpensive has a right to be.
Con: If your a big guy, the Chinese version has a stock that is proportioned for ...well...Chinese. Feels a lot like a youth model rifle. A Tapco adjustable stock took care of that.

HockaLouis 05-20-2013 03:02 PM

It is a simple, bare bones, especially-reliable-and-useful-for-the-money-they-USED-to-be semi auto military rifle. They are damned near indestructible. Already obsolete in many respects when they were $200 with a case of 1,400 rounds of new Norinco ammo, I still couldn't help but think "China has become the arsenal of democracy*." For that kind of money I couldn't see anything better to cache in on. Even today's Mosin-Nagant doesn't hold a candle to it in this regard...
;)

I sent my trigger out to be done (might have been lipstick on a pig, but, it really was too long and creepy for my taste and limited collection), the LOP was corrected by a typically stinky Chinese rubber 1" extension (with a hole that still let u access the cleaning kit in the butt), the sights leave something to be desired, and the position of the hand on the forearm has to be rather far forward due to the integral 10-rnd magazine. Finally, accuracy is common military with milsurp level ammo.

Good luck.

*This, of course, is why Clinton stopped their importation.

SSGN_Doc 05-21-2013 02:21 AM

A good solid short rifle in a decent, affordable, and available ammo chambering. It's not a modern combat masterpiece. But it is good fun and handy enough for what it is. Represents a transitional phase in small arms philosophy. Was a tool of the Cold War for establishing good will with budding communist countries and represents some good firearms history in that regard.

To me they seem at their best in stock military form. They are fun enough and practical enough in that form that I fail to see any good reason to try to make one into something that the SKS is not. Then you can have the fun of shooting something historically accurate that is entertaining to shoot just as it was designed.

They are not sniper rifles, and they are not assault rifles. I prefer to enjoy them the way they are.

readygirl 05-21-2013 02:27 AM

I think you should have bought a truckload of them when they were $99.00.

therewolf 05-21-2013 02:36 AM

I like mine a lot.

Keep one original, got a modified stock on the other.

They are strong, well-built, simple, and complete.

I like the balance and workmanship on my Russian,

but I have seen Chinese and Yugos which are nice.

The grenade launcher upsets the great overall balance

of the carbine, but acts as a counterweight to put the

sights back on target quicker.

It's my truck gun for camping and fishing.

I used one of HockaLouis's "stinky butt" recoil pads,

and it straightened out the LOP fine.

towboater 05-21-2013 02:39 AM

I prefer the Russian. I think they are built a little better.

I owned many different kind back when they were dirt cheap.

marc29th 05-21-2013 03:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Get the Russian if you can find one. Mine is a 1954 Tula Arsenal. Had it almost 20 years now.

Attachment 102015