Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Any SKS Gurus here?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2008, 05:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Any SKS Gurus here?

I've been looking over this Norinco and I have some questions.

It would appear that the bayo lug is welded to the barrel? How the hell do you get that thing off?

It appears to have a pressed on flash hider. So do I just pound that sucker off with a brass hammer or hard rubber mallet?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-23-2008, 08:32 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Why do you want to go chopping on your SKS? They are worth more as is and in one piece.
Okay....I saw your other thread. I think the bayonet lug is pinned and welded. The muzzle brake I believe is just pinned. You can drive that pin out with a brass punch and pull it off. May not be easy, but then again....what is?

Last edited by Ram Rod; 10-23-2008 at 08:37 AM.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:12 AM   #3

I replied in the other thread, but I just wanted to clean up the profile of it.

To be honest, I'm not that interested in maintaining the value. Honestly I would love to chop it down to 16", but I would probably just get another barrel and do that. I plan on hitting the range and seeing how accurate it will be. If it yields a decent grioup at 100yrds, I will completely abandon the idea of working up a Paratrooper clone. Maybe I'll just throw a bipod on the bayo lug and call it good.

These things are LONG. Hoping once a shorter stock is installed it give me a more familar feel to it.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:59 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I had a Russian SKS for a couple of years. I remember when all the aftermarket mods/stocks came out, but I was a firm believer in keeping mine stock for good reasons. I think they are more accurate in original condition with original stock. I sort of gravitated away from the SKS and got an AK. Therefore my knowledge is rather limited. I'd say chopping your barrel down wouldn't be out of the question, but you'll need someone to recrown the muzzle and everything and repost the front sight, or you could just go with an optic of some sort. Likely a pretty costly endeavor there. I don't know how hard/easy it is to change barrels on the SKS, but I think most are press fit and pinned in the receiver. Never did much 'smithing on my SKS. Didn't see the need. I knew of a few guys who had the paratrooper models and they were real tack drivers at 25-50yds.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:12 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I'm far from a guru, but the bayonet lug seems to be an integral part of the front sight unit. I just cut mine off with a side grinder, smoothed it up with a file and colored the bare steel black with a marker. Have thought about Dura-Coating the whole thing, but to this point laziness has prevailed. I think the flash hider is pinned on also, look closer.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:40 PM   #6

Try here:
www.sksboards.com

In God We Trust. (Everyone else, hands where I can see 'em)

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:56 AM   #7

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

If you leave the bayo lug on, you can get a bipod that attaches to it.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 11-15-2008, 10:38 PM   #8

In addition to Ballo93's questions, I have one of my own. I have recently purchased a Yugo 59/66 and just below grenade launcher there is a type of ring-clamp... not real sure what it is and what it does but the ring itself is loose and was wondering if someone could tell me what it is, how important it is, and how to fix it.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:50 PM   #9

You got a pic of the area in question?

Newest Threads