Ammo info - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Ammo info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2010, 11:34 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 320 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubba View Post
I'm looking for AK47 ammo and need help finding the best prices and if there any types to stay away from. Thanks.
I like Golden Tiger.

It gave me 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards last time I went to the range with my SAR-1.
"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul."
-Mahatma Gandhi

http://jpfo.org/
III%

Old 05-25-2010, 03:05 AM   #12

Thanks guys. I see some advertising good prices for Wolf and see others selling this as "recreational and practice" rounds. That's as opposed to what? I went pig hunting last fall with these recreational rounds and did okay. Can someone give me a lesson? Thanks.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:35 AM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Most of the "recreational" or practice cartridges advertised by the bigger Russian manufactures, such as Wolf, Brown Bear and Golden Tiger are all with in the same category. They are all close enough to mil-surp specs that you should feel comfortable with an ample supply of any for SHTF purposes as well as practice.

I really wouldn't want to get shot with any of those so called "practice rounds". Most of which are also available in HP or SP (better for SD) at a price difference so negligible it's worth stocking up.

Don't be scared of any of the major brands, however I personally steer towards mil-surp from various countries of origin. They seem to perform well above the average lower-end commercial cartridge. Sure they're corrosive. . . BIG DEAL clean appropriately and your AK will never know the difference.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:54 PM   #14

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

"recreational and practice" also means it's not as accurate as some more expensive ammo out there but it's plenty good enough for almost everything. AKs aren't super accurate anyway, maybe 5MOA depending on the rifle, so cheap steel case makes a lot of sense.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:52 PM   #15

Okay, now I have an additional question. I see 7.62x39 advertised in bulk (20rnd boxes) and also in "tins" (slightly higher price). Is there a big advantage in buying them sealed up? I've seen guys have old WWII ammo in bulk around here where they kept them in their barns for decades, without being sealed very well in anything other than boxes.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:27 PM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

The tins protect the ammo from any outside elements (mainly water/rust) for much longer than other storage methods.

I usually keep a couple tins for each rifle caliber that get left alone and I just get a case or two of the cheapest stuff for practice. Some of the corrosive surplus ammo in 7.62 x 39 that I've came across has shot much better than many of the big name brands such as Wolf. Just clean accordingly and you'll have no problems.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:46 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Some of the corrosive surplus ammo in 7.62 x 39 that I've came across has shot much better than many of the big name brands such as Wolf. Just clean accordingly and you'll have no problems.
I bought some stuff already on stripper clips when i purchased my SKS & was told it had mildly corrosive primers. I didn't find this out or a few days after shooting about 40-60 rounds. I didn't notice any extra nastiness, even in the gas tube. I guess the problems come in when you wait more than a few days or shoot more than 60 rounds or so. The label on the boxes looked like the Yugo brass cased ammo for sale at this place: http://www.classicarms.us/ammunition.htm Their price doesn't seem incredibly low or anything, but if you are against the steel cases and don't mind cleaning you rifle, it might suit you well.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 05-29-2010 at 07:55 PM.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:37 AM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I didn't notice any extra nastiness, even in the gas tube. I guess the problems come in when you wait more than a few days or shoot more than 60 rounds or so.
Exactly, if I know I'm not gonna shoot for several days or a week, or if it is really humid, I'll clean immediately after use. I don't ever put less than 150 or so rounds per session and haven't had a problem yet.

In fact, I love the way that surplus shoots! Its way worth the extra cleaning.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:52 PM   #19

AmmoEngine: 7.62x39mm, Instock For Sale Premium & Discount Ammunition, Ammo Deals

great search engine for any ammo you are looking for at the best prices available.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:39 PM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Great link! Never known of that one.