Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Ammo info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010, 10:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ammo info

I'm looking for AK47 ammo and need help finding the best prices and if there any types to stay away from. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-19-2010, 11:03 PM   #2

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Assuming it's chambered in 7.62x39"

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/latest-ammoman-com-email-sale-14345/#post285057

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-20-2010, 01:01 AM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Also be aware that most steel cased ammo will run just great in the most of all aks and sks. I use them quite often as target ammo because they are usually cheaper. Also watch out for corrosive ammo, or if you decide to do it follow the proper cleaning manners to avoid damage of the gun. Have fun!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Old 05-22-2010, 01:04 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazurd View Post
Also be aware that most steel cased ammo will run just great in the most of all aks and sks. I use them quite often as target ammo because they are usually cheaper.
Right. Your AK will never know the difference between steel cased and brass. In most cases steel is cheaper, however this ammo: 7.62x39 Yugo FMJ 124GR Brass case military ammo boxed. 1260rd Case is great stuff. Shoots better than Wolf, cost less and comes in a re-loadable brass case! ! ! It is corrosive, but I'll get into than next.

Quote:
Also watch out for corrosive ammo, or if you decide to do it follow the proper cleaning manners to avoid damage of the gun.
There are many methods of preventing corrosion after firing it through your guns. Most all of them have worked for me. As soon as possible after shooting corrosive ammo, treat the barrel and gas tube with an ammonia based cleaning product. We just used to use Windex, by soaking a cotton patch in it, then running it trough the bore for a minute or so. Then do the same thing with your gas tube/cylinder. When you get home clean the gun as normal.

Nowadays I use this stuff: MidwayUSA - Advanced Search It works great. Well worth the $10.

Now go shoot!

Old 05-22-2010, 03:13 AM   #5

try wideners they are a reloading supply house. They have alot of factory reloads and alot of surplus.
Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply INC

Old 05-22-2010, 04:36 AM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Right. Your AK will never know the difference between steel cased and brass. In most cases steel is cheaper, however this ammo: 7.62x39 Yugo FMJ 124GR Brass case military ammo boxed. 1260rd Case is great stuff. Shoots better than Wolf, cost less and comes in a re-loadable brass case! ! ! It is corrosive, but I'll get into than next.

This is really great ammo, BUT it is Berdan primed. Berdan is a PITA to reload.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 05-22-2010, 05:59 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Berdan is a PITA to reload.
That's what I hear. . . I've read several different methods of de-capping, but have yet to try any. In about a month I'm gonna be fully equipped to handle more reloading. I'll probably run through each of the methods and see what (if any) work.

If it's not worth the effort, oh well, at least I tried.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:07 PM   #8

Quote:
That's what I hear. . . I've read several different methods of de-capping, but have yet to try any. In about a month I'm gonna be fully equipped to handle more reloading. I'll probably run through each of the methods and see what (if any) work.

If it's not worth the effort, oh well, at least I tried.
You are also going to have trouble finding Berdan primers. They are not the same as Boxer primers.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 05-22-2010, 06:26 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I hear they're out there. Some have tried this http://users.ameritech.net/mchandler/primer.html and there are other ways too.

Either way at the price and quality of that ammo, who cares if you can't reload?

Old 05-22-2010, 06:53 PM   #10

Quote:
I hear they're out there. Some have tried this http://users.ameritech.net/mchandler/primer.html and there are other ways too.

Either way at the price and quality of that ammo, who cares if you can't reload?
Exactly. For 7.62x39, stock several thousands rounds of good stuff and don't worry about reloading it.

I know people who have reloaded steel Wolf cases (just to see if they could) and had good results.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI