Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Ammo Choices for AK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 08:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Ammo Choices for AK

We all know an AK will usually cycle anything you put through it and feeding an AK is like feeding a hungry black hole. At one point or another we all usually resort to buying large quantities of ammo in order to become good shooters with our "boolet hose". My question for you fellas is what's your experience with the ammo you've sent down-range through your AK? Best brand of ammo? HP or FMJ or perhaps soft-point? And what about accuracy with what you've used?
I want to buy 1K round case for my AK-47 and wanted some opinions. I originally thought of reloading for it but I figure the components would cost more than the factory ammo does.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-06-2011, 03:21 AM   #2

I have two AK type rifles (Yugo Underfolder and Unconverted Saiga) and an SKS. Right now I use the cheapest 7.62X39 I can find, which is Brown Bear 123gr HP. Over the years, I have fired all sorts of X39 ammo: Silver Bear, Golden Tiger, Wolf Black Box, Wolf Military Classic, Red Chinese Corrosive, Red Chinese Non-Corrosive, E. German Surplus, Czech Commercial Sellier and Bellot, Russian TCW, Monarch and Remington/UMC. the only stuff i would not recommend would be Egyptian Surplus which fired, but was super hot, causing distortions to the cases.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:55 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default 7.62 ammo

I pretty much agree that most ammo out there will function well in either ak or sks. I personally like the yugo m67, it's mildly corrosive other then that it's a big improvement over the m43 round. It yaws at about 3", bassically it's alot nastier. Again mildly corrosive keep your gun clean, and it works great. It's also brass, all depends what u are looking for. With my russian sks i get tighter grouping

Old 01-17-2011, 03:56 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm personally not one for corrosive ammo because it encourages pitting in the barrel if you miss any of the corrosive agent, but it still has its place in the world. Oddly enough it seems to be the most accurate ammo out of the stats I've found. I wonder if its because of the brass cases affecting the increase in grouping.
I guess there isnt much of a demand for non-corrosive brass cased ammo on the market, since the steel cased has it cornered price wise. How much more accurate do you think brass cased non-corrisive ammo could be over the steel cased non-corrisive and would it be worth the investment in the reloading components or factory ammo?

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:41 PM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I just use a variety of russian steel cased ammo in both AK and SKS rifles. Most of all Wolf military classic hps, or soft points for hunting...

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Old 01-17-2011, 10:40 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default ammo choices for ak

I also am not a big fan on corrosive ammo, but have not had any problems with the yugo. I do keep my guns clean though. I don't know why i get good grouping, maybe it's the brass or maybe the bullet dynamics. I like the Russian, but i do get flyers. In the end it's all good, just getting out and having a good time shooting.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:15 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

the bears work good and seemed to be not as dirty. shot some cheap corrosive through my sks and it just took two and a half times to clean it the way i wanted it. my ak on the other hand only golden bear and remington in it. no chromed lined on that one.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:43 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I took a close look at the reloading statistics of the 7.62x39 and it turns out that the bullet diameter is .311 of an inch which is more towards the .303 British round instead of the traditional .308 Winchester's diameter which is .308 of an inch obviously. I guess this is yet another reason reloading isnt a popular with the round. But me being a non-conformist on a lot of things I'll end up loading them anyhow to see how tight I can squeeze the grouping out of my bullet hose.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:25 AM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

did you check out the diameter for the 7.62x54R? just wondering. kind of always thought of that one to be more like a .308. and the ammo for the 7.62x39 is pretty cheap anyway.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:59 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just checked the diameter for the 7.62x54R, its diameter is .310 inches. So its just under the same diameter as the 7.62x39. Not sure why caliber markings have to be so ambiguous. All my measurements that I havent done from experience are from the 2nd edition of Modern Reloading from Richard Lee.