Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   which ammo (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/ammo-44210/)

bogcjg 06-22-2011 03:47 PM

which ammo
 
i want an ak but should i get a 5.45x39mm or should i get a 7.62x39mm

therewolf 06-22-2011 03:54 PM

7.62x39 is cheaper and easier to find.

5.45x39 is smaller and easier to shoot...

bogcjg 06-22-2011 04:08 PM

i
 
do they use the some mags or no and i found 1000 rounds of 5.45 for 160

diggsbakes 06-22-2011 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therewolf (Post 527545)
7.62x39 is cheaper and easier to find.

5.45x39 is smaller and easier to shoot...

Not so much. . . ?

The 5.45 x 39mm is the cheapest and most abundant in surplus right now. They can be found for as little as $140 for a 1,200rd case. And American manufactures (Hornady) are beginning to pick this cartridge up and are making great ammo. Mags can get scarce though.

The 7.62 x 39mm is still inexpensive at about $200/1000rds. Mags are plentiful and the round has excellent penetrability. It is abundant as well in surplus and made here in the US as well.

rifleshooter474 06-28-2011 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogcjg (Post 527548)
do they use the some mags or no and i found 1000 rounds of 5.45 for 160

They do not use the same Mags. If you have both rifles use care to keep Mags separated, as you can get some of the 7.69x39 Ammo. into a 5.45x39 Mag. but they won't feed right. Also you won't get more then around 12 into the smaller Mag. before they stop loading.

rifleshooter474 06-28-2011 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diggsbakes (Post 527675)
Not so much. . . ?

The 5.45 x 39mm is the cheapest and most abundant in surplus right now. They can be found for as little as $140 for a 1,200rd case. And American manufactures (Hornady) are beginning to pick this cartridge up and are making great ammo. Mags can get scarce though.

The 7.62 x 39mm is still inexpensive at about $200/1000rds. Mags are plentiful and the round has excellent penetrability. It is abundant as well in surplus and made here in the US as well.

both 7.69x39&5.45x39 are AK great rifles I like Brown&Silver Bear Ammo. Lots of 7.69 Mags around I found Polish steel 5.45x39 30rd Mags are showing up at from around $15 Arms Of America - AK-74 5.45x39 Mags
https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/50/products_id/851

bogcjg 06-28-2011 02:51 PM

cool
 
thank u guys

therewolf 07-01-2011 04:47 PM

Strangely enough, when I went to the newest Speer, Hornady, and Lyman

manuals, I found no mention of 5.45x39, except in the 7.62 x39 chapter.

There it is only mentioned as a necked down cartridge of the parent

7.62x39...

7.62 Man 07-08-2011 03:59 PM

This is the cheapest you will find the 5.45x39 ammo.
But you will need to buy in bulk to get the best savings.
5.45x39 Ammunition
If you get some fellow shooters to help with the buy you can get the price down to around 10.8 cents per round.:eek:

jdwohlers 08-07-2011 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rifleshooter474 (Post 530742)
both 7.69x39&5.45x39 are AK great rifles I like Brown&Silver Bear Ammo. Lots of 7.69 Mags around I found Polish steel 5.45x39 30rd Mags are showing up at from around $15 Arms Of America - AK-74 5.45x39 Mags
https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/50/products_id/851

is brown bear still really thick with that laquer coating or have they stopped doing that?


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:28 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.