AMD-65 vs ?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > AMD-65 vs ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 11:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default AMD-65 vs ?

So there is an AMD-65 build kit for around $400. It says it has everything but the barrel. Why are they so inexpensive compared to other AK platform rifles/kits?

I'm prior military so all I know is AR(M16) and want to give the AK a try. I never like the AR because they jam allll the time. Is an AMD-65 a safe place to start getting into AK's?

This is what the listing says.

"Rifle Receiver specifically designed for the AMD-65 AK Type Rifle. 7.62 x 39 caliber, Semi-Auto, Includes Guide Rails and Cross Member Support. These are Nodak Spud Receivers marked model # SA2000M. Ships with Hungarian AMD 65 Part set. Parts sets are complete with the exception of barrels and magazines"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-14-2013, 01:02 AM   #2

Liked 2218 Times on 1303 Posts
Likes Given: 484

All of those parts are held together with rivets and friction pins. You will need to have some proper rivet tools. You will need a press to install the trunions and the barrel. Headspace gauge. Different fire control parts. So they can be a bit more complex to assemble than an AR. If that receiver has not been folded already then you need bending jigs and welding equipment to tack in the action rails as well.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:22 AM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Ok. I got the sheet metal tools. I'm an aircraft sheet metal mechanic by trade. So I'm proficient at drilling, pressing, grinding, and shaping metal. I understand the part you described there but you lost me at "fire controls" and "Headspace". I can handle the welds myself also.

I did notice just now that the receiver is numbered and the kit has to be sent to an FFl holder. Is $399 a fair price for this kit, taking into account current gun prices?

I am still interested in making a receiver from a bent blank though.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:07 AM   #4

Since the kit us basically made up if parts from a military gun the full auto fire control parts will need to be replaced. (Trigger, hammer, disconnector, etc.). When you get the barrel you will need to chose one that us at least 16" in length or if you use a short one like the AMD type you will need to pin and weld a muzzle device in that brings the barrel length to 16".

Headspace is a process if getting the breech face if the chamber and the bolt to the right distance that the round, when chambered has the area of the shell that is forward of the case head fully supported. If the shell sits too far rearward the thin sheet metal if the cartridge will be unsupported and the hot high-pressure gasses can burst the unsupported portion of the shell right near the shooters head and hands. If the bolt is too close it may not be able to fully close and lock. This has to be set as the barrel is pressed into the trunion.

There are tutorials on line that illustrate the assembly process and tools. Distance if the mag well and rear if the trunion and barrel can be a critical dimension for function As is the welding, alignment and positioning of the action rails. There are jigs out there to get the bends right and to help position the rails. Screw one or two things up and you are left with something nonfunctional or dangerous. Ignore some rules on parts counts and dimensions and it can end up illegal.

I like ARs because they are modular and go together like Lego blocks just about, when compared to AKs. I've also found them to be very reliable. I like AKs a lot too. But I don't think I want to build one.

Someone wise once said "AKs are more accurate than most folks give them credit for, and ARs are more reliable". I've found both to be pretty much true.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:11 AM   #5

As far as the price goes. It's ok. It's a good deal to someone who has the tools and parts. For someone who doesn't the welding equipment, hydraulic press, gauges, jigs, barrel and fire control parts would make it far less attractive.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:53 AM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks!! One more thing. Are all AK-47 barrels and trigger groups the same or are they distinguishable from manufacturer to manufacturer or different countries and suppliers? Again, thank you.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #7

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by starving030 View Post
Thanks!! One more thing. Are all AK-47 barrels and trigger groups the same or are they distinguishable from manufacturer to manufacturer or different countries and suppliers? Again, thank you.
My stock AMD came with the tapco trigger group. It's smooth as hell. I've built more than a handful of ak's from the receiver up and tapco is about the most cost effective and best I've personally used. And I have no experience with other bbls other than factory.

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy