Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Are all chinese sks's made by norinco? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/all-chinese-skss-made-norinco-98993/)

hq357 10-16-2013 11:44 PM

Im looking for the perfect sks to buy. i do like the yugo sks but ive heard that there can be problems with gas leaks and the grenade launcher would make it classified as an assult weapon if a ban ever came. They also dont have chrome lined barrels, so i started looking into the chinese sks and every gun store seller says its a chinese sks others call it a norinco some were made for commercial sale and some were made for the military. Id like to purchase the one that is better made so im thinking a military sks how can i tell if an sks was made for commercial sale or military use?

Mercator 10-17-2013 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hq357 (Post 1403812)
Im looking for the perfect sks to buy. i do like the yugo sks but ive heard that there can be problems with gas leaks and the grenade launcher would make it classified as an assult weapon if a ban ever came. They also dont have chrome lined barrels, so i started looking into the chinese sks and every gun store seller says its a chinese sks others call it a norinco some were made for commercial sale and some were made for the military. Id like to purchase the one that is better made so im thinking a military sks how can i tell if an sks was made for commercial sale or military use?

The military ones are surplus, not new. They are usually pretty beat up. If by perfect you mean modern production, those have not been imported since 1993.

As an aside, many of the Soviet SKSs look like they've seen limited service if any. They may be still unissued under all that cosmoline.

kryptar19 10-17-2013 02:49 AM

Most if not all Type 56's are NOT milsurp. They were made for the U.S. commercial market.

Mercator 10-17-2013 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kryptar19 (Post 1404022)
Most if not all Type 56's are NOT milsurp. They were made for the U.S. commercial market.

You mean most fouind on the racks at LGS, today?

towboater 10-17-2013 03:24 AM

To me the closest to perfect SKS, is a Russian SKS.

kryptar19 10-17-2013 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercator
You mean most fouind on the racks at LGS, today?

No. I mean the majority of Chinese norinco SKS rifles were made for the U.S. commercial market.

hq357 10-17-2013 08:50 AM

Yea but the russian sks is like 400$ and up and are pretty hard to find thats more of like a collectors rifle and to pretty to make it tactical. by perfect i mean good condition lightly used pretty accurate and reliable and will last a lifetime and one i dont mind making tactical if i wanted And under 400$

c3shooter 10-17-2013 10:25 AM

Norinco (China North Industries) was created in 1980, and made a LOT of things. Their SKS was banned from import in 1993. The SKS made by them tended to have light blonde stocks, and a rivet rather than a bolt on the bayonet.

Prior to Norinco, the bulk of the Type 56 rifles sold in the US were made at a military arsenal FOR SALE to the US. With the exception of honor guard type duties, the SKS had been replaced by the Type 56 Assault Rifle (Chinese version of the AK47) for many years.

CJx 10-17-2013 11:22 AM

From what I have read, type 56 SKSs are not made by Norinco.

Mercator 10-17-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kryptar19 (Post 1404066)
No. I mean the majority of Chinese norinco SKS rifles were made for the U.S. commercial market.

Made and exported are two different things, Norinco does both. They keep sending us milsurp, but sure I suppose one can find a pre-ban import in resale.


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:06 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.