AKs brands and model advice
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > AKs brands and model advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AKs brands and model advice

I am trying to select a modern AK to buy. I was wondering which are the best brand for AKs? I prefer one that is well built quality, light weight, less than $1,000 what model is suggested. A shooter at the range told me that Arsenal are good AK rifle but when I look for them are over $1,000 and are not available in stock.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-28-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1217 Times on 680 Posts
Likes Given: 525

If you're willing to spend 1K on an AK, save up $200 more and get an Arsenal… Or just see if you can get it for 1K from somewhere online or from a local dealer. Just be sure to check it, as with any AK, to make sure the critical components are straight/in-line with each other.

Nevermind, just go to www.atlanticfirearms.com and look for their Arsenal AK's, which are priced below 1K, including the folding stock models. My advice is to buy a fixed stock if you do not need a folding stock. Although their folders are quite rigid and well-built, nothing's as rigid as a fixed stock.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:15 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2634 Times on 1835 Posts
Likes Given: 1344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibil View Post
I am trying to select a modern AK to buy. I was wondering which are the best brand for AKs? I prefer one that is well built quality, light weight, less than $1,000 what model is suggested. A shooter at the range told me that Arsenal are good AK rifle but when I look for them are over $1,000 and are not available in stock.
Consider the Vepr. It is 100% factory, from the Kalashnikov Corp (formerly Izhmash) It is a reinforced-frame AK type, a little heavier than most, which is a plus for "home on the range"

Any case, stay away from shortened gas piston systems. They look bitchin' but functionally are not as good.

Old 11-29-2013, 01:29 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 199 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
I hear Saiga makes a good one. I almost bought one for around 1k but wound up spending less and got an o-pap M70.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:48 PM   #5

Liked 2395 Times on 1401 Posts
Likes Given: 538

Don't know what kind of selection you have in Puerto Rico. What kind are in stock near you?

Old 11-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #6

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

With what a good AK costs these days,

you could get a great gun that's accurate,

or something like an SKS, that has a milled receiver.

Or consider a VEPR type that shoots 7.62X54R. Many

of them are rated as hunting rifles, and have much

better accuracy, as well as scope mounts built on.

Old 11-30-2013, 03:22 AM   #7

I visited some near store armory here and I only saw two armory selling Aks one with a short version and the other with a strange brand that I don't even remember. One of the armory told me that they have free shipping with galleryofguns.com but they are going to charge me with $100 more of the price product if I buy from them.

I forgot to mention it but the shooter at the range tell me that recent Chinese AKs are well built and good quality ones. Which brand is that?

Old 11-30-2013, 03:33 AM   #8

Liked 67 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I have the pistol version of this. Highly recommended. Thick milled receiver, made in USA. I have a friend that's an active Marine, and he said this is the nicest AK he has shot. It has been flawless for me, with never a hiccup.
http://www.tombstonetactical.com/catalog/century-arms/ri1622-n-centurion-39-rifle-7.62x39mm-16in-30rd-black/

Mossberg 590A1
Centurian C39 AK pistol
Sig 226
SA xdm 45 compact
H&K USP .40
Sig 938 Extreme
SA 1911 SS Loaded Model
Sig 716 Patrol .308

Old 11-30-2013, 04:09 AM   #9

Liked 2395 Times on 1401 Posts
Likes Given: 538

Quote:
I visited some near store armory here and I only saw two armory selling Aks one with a short version and the other with a strange brand that I don't even remember. One of the armory told me that they have free shipping with galleryofguns.com but they are going to charge me with $100 more of the price product if I buy from them.

I forgot to mention it but the shooter at the range tell me that recent Chinese AKs are well built and good quality ones. Which brand is that?
Probably Norinco or Polytech if you can still get those in Puerto Rico. They aren't imported into the US any more. They are decent shooters. They have heavier receivers. Chrome lined bores, heavier trunions, and heavier barrels. Triggers were sometimes great, and sometimes not so great, most had double hooks which actually seemed to reduce drag oddly enough. The only complaints I ever had of the Chinese ones were the usually ugly wood, and the blued finish instead of parkerizing.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #10

Visited two store, one has a modern one with fixed stock and was an Arsenal but cost $1550 + tax (1,658.5). the other armory store has two Aks one that was a Armory USA and the other was a Century Arms both were tactical and cost more than +$1200