AK47 parts
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion >

AK47 parts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 12:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 240 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default AK47 parts

Dear friends..
I have some questions about Tapco AK parts.. hope dont mind me asking. As im new to AK.
Seen Tapco products but i dont know what these are or the functions.

1. Retaining plate.
2. Gas piston
3. Grip screw & bushing.

Should i change those parts? Improve its performance? In Glocks, most of the aftermarket parts are meant to make our life easier. Just like extended slide level, ext slide release, ext mag release etc. So please educate me about AK. Currently im still waiting for my CIA Romanian Wasr AK47 from impactguns. Will be receiving it next week.

Thx for the inputs. Maybe please throw in some ideas of what parts need to be replaced or upgraded beside the furniture. Thank you!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 65 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk View Post
Dear friends..
I have some questions about Tapco AK parts.. hope dont mind me asking. As im new to AK.
Seen Tapco products but i dont know what these are or the functions.

1. Retaining plate.
2. Gas piston
3. Grip screw & bushing.

Should i change those parts? Improve its performance? In Glocks, most of the aftermarket parts are meant to make our life easier. Just like extended slide level, ext slide release, ext mag release etc. So please educate me about AK. Currently im still waiting for my CIA Romanian Wasr AK47 from impactguns. Will be receiving it next week.

Thx for the inputs. Maybe please throw in some ideas of what parts need to be replaced or upgraded beside the furniture. Thank you!
If your incoming Century Arms AK is already 'converted' then it will alreay have the retaining plate & grip screw/bushing. I would make sure of that 1st.
You can look at the gun and tell. Look at the location of the trigger & trigger guard. Is it located right behind the mag or is there a space of a few inches between them.

These guns are mostly imported with no pistol grip and the trigger & guard are located father back on the bottom of the receiver (where the pistol grip would go). Since the trigger & grip are located farther back - this leaves a space of a few inches between the front of the trigger guard and the back of the magazine/well. Also, these un-converted guns will usually only accept 10 round magazines (and will not accept the standard 30 round AK mags).

Alot of companies (Century too) as a regular practice before selling them - converts them by moving the trigger group forward - installing the pistol grip and modifying the inside of the magwell to accept standard 30 rd AK mags. Although plenty of unmodified guns are sold too.

If your gun has been converted to accept standard 30 rd AK mags & has had the trigger group moved forward - it will already have these two parts (also most companies that I have run across use Tapco parts for the mods).

This leaves your gas piston...
If your gun is new, it will have a new gas piston. I wouldn't see any need to change that out unless/until ithe one in the gun wears out.

Thanks,
Bart

Old 01-04-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 65 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 59

For instance...
Here is a pic borrowed from impact guns of a CIA Romanian WASR
AK47 parts - AK & SKS Discussion
This is a converted gun (and should be similar to yours. It will already have those two parts.

Here is a pic borrowed from classic arms of an unconverted Saiga.
AK47 parts - AK & SKS Discussion
Note the postion of the trigger group in relation to the back of the 10 rd mag (also, no room for pistol grip).
If your gun is like this - then yes, you would need those parts (and also the Tapco trigger group too).

Old 01-05-2012, 12:30 AM   #4

Wow. Those are useful infos for me. Thx guys. Appreciated.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #5

Yeah finally got my Arsenal Saiga AK47 last friday. Much way more expensive than my first plan which was the CIA Wasr. But hey.. this Arsenal is smooth and well built. Shoot so accurate out of the box. Will post pics when i'm done putting accessories on it