AK47 manufacturers? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > AK47 manufacturers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I dabbled a foot in this pond for a moment as well PPC.

I was thinking of more a kit build, so I wanted a really good, quality receiver to start with and then add parts, or a kit, that was rooted on a solid base.

You know, like we would do in the AR world. Mihkail designed it out of a solid piece, milled receiver, not the very common and cheaper stamped steel and rivet set of today. Thus, I wanted to find a milled receiver to start with....

When I started looking around, Sweet Jesus, I was into it $1000 already and I wasn't finished, nor did I have mags and ammo.

Some light reading if you are interested. I still have the research folder and links on my system, so I haven't officially shot it down, but it's not on the short list any longer.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MediaPages/ArticleDetail.aspx?mediaid=484

http://www.ultimak.com/AKReceiverID.htm

http://firinglineoklahoma.com/akreceivers.html

http://lancasterarms.com/MILLED%20RECEIVER%20PAGE.htm

Old 09-18-2012, 08:43 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Recently picked up a Romanian 1967 WASR 10/63 AKM 47 from a gun show at a resonable price. All serial numbers checked out, no canted front sight or mag wobble to report, stamped triangle on receiver, Tapco G2 trigger. Love it. Next up a Chinese drum and a USA Bumpski.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:13 AM   #13

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

IIRC; Here are some AKs/AKMs/derivitives of same, that can be found in the USA that came from "real mfgs" - as opposed to assemblers/modifiers of parts kits or other's work. And regardless of calibers....

Pre-ban, some pre-CHICOM bans:

Finn VALMET stamped and milled derivitives
Yugo Zastavan M70 PAPs
Hungarian FEG AKMs
IMI Galils (derived from VALMETs)
Egyptian MAADI AKMs and hybrid CHICOM/Egyptian MISRs
CHICOM Generic, Norinco, PolyTech AKMs and PolyTech "Legend" milled AKs, Norinco milled AKs, various MAK90 types

Post-ban years (legally imported as sporters):

Cugir Romanian WUMs/SARs/ROMAKs/CURs/WASRs/M10s/?? AKMs
Russian SAIGAs
Russian VEPRs
Serbian Zastavan "Yugo PAPs"
Arsenal whatevers
Low-cap Bulgies
Polish Archer??

NON-RIFLES and 922 exempt:

DRACO, DRACO-C, Mini pistols
Serbian Zastavan M92 pistols
Arsenal? "Krink" pistol?
Romy WASR22, AKT98, M10/22 .22LR rifles

If you want a true non-USA-made AK with factory barrel and factory recvr, get something from the above lists.

Else, the rest - are typically parts-bin guns - or "evil" modifications of importable sporters - obviously based on VEPRs, SAIGAs, PAPs, and Romys for the most part.

Polski U/Fs, various Tantals, Arsenals, "Bulgy parts guns", Century Yugos, Tantals, milled Polski, and Golanis - are typically Century USA mixmasters or other USA-assemblies from foreign recvrs with mixmaster parts and US or original barrells - like the Hunky AMDs we see with USA parts and FEG recvrs and barrels, and some of the Polish with Polish recvrs and barrels.

Not that these mix-master AKMs are bad - if anything we now have a variety we never had before!

Last edited by nfafan; 09-25-2012 at 04:28 AM.