Ak47 accuracy myth - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Ak47 accuracy myth

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #31
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6146 Times on 2145 Posts
Likes Given: 1753

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Only a couple of questions there, P.

Does that taclight have anywhere near the range of the scope?
I'd be worried it would make me a target, well past 1/2 mile.

Does the front handle do anything to improve LR accuracy?

Does the scope slow your rate of fire?

And rhetorically, since you have opted for the lighter composite stock,

how much does all that extra stuff weigh?

I have this fear of dying tired...

Ya make me smile, guess I'm a purist and absolutely no offense intended to Pasquanel .
JMO
Tactijunk

Old 09-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #32

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I'm freaking loving all these AK's. I need to get me one.

I kind of have this theory, not knowing much about the quality of different makers. I would theorize that the MAK 90, by it's nature of being built around the assault weapons ban, probably avoided many problems that plagued some kit guns, since it was designed to be imported whole.

Would this be correct? What are the general opinions on the MAK? I have no problem with the lack of bayonet lug or some other so called "military" features (like they really made the gun more deadly... Stupid libtards).

If they're good, and my little theory is right, could the stock be changed out to a pistol grip stock?

Old 09-30-2012, 10:19 PM   #33
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6146 Times on 2145 Posts
Likes Given: 1753

My vote for the best AK would go to a milled Russian version.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:12 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threetango
My vote for the best AK would go to a milled Russian version.
I kind of assumed something like that, but the absolute cheapest I've found was around 2 grand.

I would like to stay sub 1k.

But I don't even know if I want one of those, an AR10, an AR15, M1A, FN FAL, or even just a semi hunting rifle. All I know is that my next rifle will be a semi auto, and all these platforms appeal to me in a big way. I've even been considering an SKS, and that other Russian semi that fires 7.62X54r, whose names escapes me at the moment, along with a dragunov style rifle.

Yes, you see? I'm still in the "thinking about it" phase of my next purchase. No idea what I really want, or even what my top dollar will be, except that I'm willing to pay more for some platforms than others. For instance, I'd be willing to give 1500 for an M1A, but there's no way in hell I'll pay over 500 for an SKS. And it seems good AK's can be found for sub 1k quite often too.

I'm completely lost on this at the moment. But I've got until sometime around February to make a decision.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:41 AM   #35
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1016 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 520

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Only a couple of questions there, P.

Does that taclight have anywhere near the range of the scope?
I'd be worried it would make me a target, well past 1/2 mile.

Does the front handle do anything to improve LR accuracy?

Does the scope slow your rate of fire?

And rhetorically, since you have opted for the lighter composite stock,

how much does all that extra stuff weigh?

I have this fear of dying tired...

The light was never intended to be used with the scope it would be used at how do you do ranges with the stock folded back. I purchased the light originally for use on a Kel-Tec KSG but its availability has been very limited so I installed it on the AK just to try it out, the reality is sticking out on the side makes the rifle unwieldy. I don't know where you are from but here on my property 55 yards would be a long shot so yes the light would work.

The fore grip works for me as I'm sure you know AKs are heavy and I find it allows me a more comfortable stance I would say anything that makes handling the rifle easier would be conducive to accuracy, like I said it works for me.

I always use an optical sight whenever possible it puts everything on one plane and for me its much quicker. Hell I had a scope on my air rifles 50 years ago, again it works for me. Two things to line up vs. three wins every time in my book and as I shoot with both eyes open optics make target acquisition faster for me also as I age my eyesight isn't improving and a scope corrects that!

I opted for the after market stock mainly because the wood stocks on my Wasar 10 looked like they were carved with a machete and sanded with an old brick. You say composite it looks like plastic to me. What does it weigh? I would say certainly not less than the wood but as I have no intention of running I doubt it will be a problem!

Old 10-01-2012, 02:54 AM   #36
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6722 Times on 3578 Posts
Likes Given: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I'm freaking loving all these AK's. I need to get me one.

I kind of have this theory, not knowing much about the quality of different makers. I would theorize that the MAK 90, by it's nature of being built around the assault weapons ban, probably avoided many problems that plagued some kit guns, since it was designed to be imported whole.

Would this be correct? What are the general opinions on the MAK? I have no problem with the lack of bayonet lug or some other so called "military" features (like they really made the gun more deadly... Stupid libtards).

If they're good, and my little theory is right, could the stock be changed out to a pistol grip stock?
i had one back in the 90's. bought it for 125$ sold it for 200$ i only regret selling it because people are paying around 1k$ at the local gunshows for the piece of junk. cheap ratty construction covers the mak90. get a russian one.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 10-01-2012, 03:01 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

i had one back in the 90's. bought it for 125$ sold it for 200$ i only regret selling it because people are paying around 1k$ at the local gunshows for the piece of junk. cheap ratty construction covers the mak90. get a russian one.
Wow. Thanks! Can you point me in the direction of an affordable Russian to consider?

Would a converted SAIGA count?

Old 10-01-2012, 03:08 AM   #38
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6722 Times on 3578 Posts
Likes Given: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Wow. Thanks! Can you point me in the direction of an affordable Russian to consider?

Would a converted SAIGA count?
yes the saigas are made on the same factory line as the russian military ak47's. arsenal saiga's are reputed to be superb. not all saiga's are equal due to various companies doing the conversions.

ive got a saiga12 and its excellent. ive been thinking about getting an ak47. if i do im going to get an unconverted one and do the conversion myself or just get one of the various elcheapo yugos and shoot the snot out of it.

these are just my opinions im no ak47 expert
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 10-01-2012 at 03:11 AM.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:51 AM   #39

Liked 2450 Times on 1436 Posts
Likes Given: 559

I dunno. I have a WASR that I just rescued from a pawn shop. Sights and gas block are straight. It was spray painted with black krylon from muzzle to butt. So I got a fair deal on it (think just under $300). We'll see how it shoots after I'm done stripping and refinishing it.

I had one before that shot fine but was not as accurate as my Norinco MAK 90. That MAK 90 with the heavier receiver, barrel, and trunion along with the double hook trigger made it a better than average shooter for an AK clone. It also fed every type of ammo I could find from HP, SP, and FMJ while the WASR had a hard time with some soft point ammo occasionally.

To me the Chinese versions were different, but in some ways seemed better than average mechanically. My only complaint was that they were blued and not parkerized and that the wood was ugly like most AK wood.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:57 AM   #40

I've shot Downsouth's WASR, and his son's, Jstrong's, converted SAIGA. I liked both, but I liked the wood stock of Downsouth's better. The win though was the SAW pistol grip on Jstrong's. Like shaking hands with an old friend.

Maybe I would convert one, using Russian red wood, and a SAW grip...

I'm lightheaded now...