Ak47 accuracy myth
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Ak47 accuracy myth

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 05:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Ak47 accuracy myth

Is it true that an ak47 chambered in 762x39 is really inaccurate? Can anyone prove it wrong? Post some pics of your ak and tell me what kinda groups you can get with it im looking to get an ak! but everyone says there crap and cant shoot straight id like to own one but not if it inaccurate like everyone says it is.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-07-2012, 05:22 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5817 Times on 3037 Posts
Likes Given: 402

They tend to hover around 2 moa ive seen some that are close to moa at 100yards. Its not that they are innacurate so much that once you get to 200+ yards the ballistic arc takes a serious dive into rainbow land.

The main worry with ak47 is being sure you dont have canted sights. Best way to check is to remove the bolt and carrier look down the barrel from the rear at a distant target and then peep throught the sights if they line up somewhat close to each other in image your good to go. Gun has to be resting on a stable surface.

I rank your average ak47 with the typical out of the box mini14 or low end pricewise dpms/bushmaster type ar15

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 09-07-2012 at 05:27 AM.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:29 AM   #3

Liked 259 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 367

They're just a large heavy bullet as well as the muzzle climb is fairly substantial as well. Making followups not that great unless you're really dialing in every shot.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #4

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

I just got done posting this video in another thread.

36 seconds into the video you see a second of him shooting off the edge of a table, iron sights, at a torso target 500 yards downrange. I've seen the video of that, he hits every time at least 7 shots; the group looks to be just over 2moa.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:19 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 45

The question is how many rounds did he have to shoot in order to "find the range" before he does this particular feat?

Old 09-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Uhhh, I just watched the video and the furthest I saw him shoot was 2 targets at 100 yards prone in 4 seconds. I wish I'd watched the video first before posting my last comment. My son can hit 2 targets at 100 yards with ease in 4 seconds (including moving into prone as the shooter in the video did) ever since completing an Appleseed project shoot last year. Perhaps you posted the wrong video.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo45 View Post
Uhhh, I just watched the video and the furthest I saw him shoot was 2 targets at 100 yards prone in 4 seconds. I wish I'd watched the video first before posting my last comment. My son can hit 2 targets at 100 yards with ease in 4 seconds (including moving into prone as the shooter in the video did) ever since completing an Appleseed project shoot last year. Perhaps you posted the wrong video.
Yeah, you have to read my comment.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo45 View Post
The question is how many rounds did he have to shoot in order to "find the range" before he does this particular feat?
You are missing the point of the post. The post topic is "Ak47 accuracy myth" not the "Travis Haley accuracy myth."

Old 09-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2872 Times on 1496 Posts
Likes Given: 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0zt36 View Post
They're just a large heavy bullet as well as the muzzle climb is fairly substantial as well. Making followups not that great unless you're really dialing in every shot.
Having actually shot an AK I can tell you the muzzle clinb is not substantial at all. Is it more than the AR platform in 5.56? Yes, but not substantial.

Large-heavy compared to what? The 5.56mm? Sure. Compared to most .30 caliber rifles, it is a light weight.

As to the OP's question; The AK (when properly built) is capable of very reasonable accuracy in the expected operating range of inside 300 meters. I have seen a member's milled AK shoot tremendous groups (about MOA). That gun would smash most people's view of the AK and its accuracy.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I have seen a member's milled AK shoot tremendous groups (about MOA). That gun would smash most people's view of the AK and its accuracy.
There's the difference. A milled receiver is what was intended, but it's far from common place with this platform.

And the price tag between the two, upon some investigation on my own, is staggering.