Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Ak47 accuracy myth (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/ak47-accuracy-myth-71988/)

Abc1911 09-07-2012 05:10 AM

Ak47 accuracy myth
 
Is it true that an ak47 chambered in 762x39 is really inaccurate? Can anyone prove it wrong? Post some pics of your ak and tell me what kinda groups you can get with it im looking to get an ak! :D but everyone says there crap and cant shoot straight id like to own one but not if it inaccurate like everyone says it is.

JonM 09-07-2012 05:22 AM

They tend to hover around 2 moa ive seen some that are close to moa at 100yards. Its not that they are innacurate so much that once you get to 200+ yards the ballistic arc takes a serious dive into rainbow land.

The main worry with ak47 is being sure you dont have canted sights. Best way to check is to remove the bolt and carrier look down the barrel from the rear at a distant target and then peep throught the sights if they line up somewhat close to each other in image your good to go. Gun has to be resting on a stable surface.

I rank your average ak47 with the typical out of the box mini14 or low end pricewise dpms/bushmaster type ar15

Gh0zt36 09-07-2012 05:29 AM

They're just a large heavy bullet as well as the muzzle climb is fairly substantial as well. Making followups not that great unless you're really dialing in every shot.

The_Kid 09-07-2012 09:37 PM

I just got done posting this video in another thread.


36 seconds into the video you see a second of him shooting off the edge of a table, iron sights, at a torso target 500 yards downrange. I've seen the video of that, he hits every time at least 7 shots; the group looks to be just over 2moa.

Davo45 09-18-2012 05:19 PM

The question is how many rounds did he have to shoot in order to "find the range" before he does this particular feat?

Davo45 09-18-2012 05:26 PM

Uhhh, I just watched the video and the furthest I saw him shoot was 2 targets at 100 yards prone in 4 seconds. I wish I'd watched the video first before posting my last comment. My son can hit 2 targets at 100 yards with ease in 4 seconds (including moving into prone as the shooter in the video did) ever since completing an Appleseed project shoot last year. Perhaps you posted the wrong video.

The_Kid 09-18-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davo45 (Post 945620)
Uhhh, I just watched the video and the furthest I saw him shoot was 2 targets at 100 yards prone in 4 seconds. I wish I'd watched the video first before posting my last comment. My son can hit 2 targets at 100 yards with ease in 4 seconds (including moving into prone as the shooter in the video did) ever since completing an Appleseed project shoot last year. Perhaps you posted the wrong video.

Yeah, you have to read my comment.

The_Kid 09-18-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davo45 (Post 945608)
The question is how many rounds did he have to shoot in order to "find the range" before he does this particular feat?

You are missing the point of the post. The post topic is "Ak47 accuracy myth" not the "Travis Haley accuracy myth."

robocop10mm 09-18-2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gh0zt36 (Post 931452)
They're just a large heavy bullet as well as the muzzle climb is fairly substantial as well. Making followups not that great unless you're really dialing in every shot.

Having actually shot an AK I can tell you the muzzle clinb is not substantial at all. Is it more than the AR platform in 5.56? Yes, but not substantial.

Large-heavy compared to what? The 5.56mm? Sure. Compared to most .30 caliber rifles, it is a light weight.

As to the OP's question; The AK (when properly built) is capable of very reasonable accuracy in the expected operating range of inside 300 meters. I have seen a member's milled AK shoot tremendous groups (about MOA). That gun would smash most people's view of the AK and its accuracy.

Dillinger 09-18-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 945792)
I have seen a member's milled AK shoot tremendous groups (about MOA). That gun would smash most people's view of the AK and its accuracy.

There's the difference. A milled receiver is what was intended, but it's far from common place with this platform.

And the price tag between the two, upon some investigation on my own, is staggering. :eek:


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:30 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.