ak vs sks - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > ak vs sks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2010, 03:01 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowryde45 View Post

Mine shoots just fine
That's a Saiga, right?

Old 08-01-2010, 06:58 PM   #12

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Well, i'm feeling better about paying the $325~ for mine now.
Heh, that's what I have in mine and it's the M model that uses AK mags.

@lostchild,
There are a few different flavors if both the SKS and the AK platforms. The main thing they both have in common [to me] is they both are reliable weapons but the thing that makes them both as reliable as they are is what makes them not as accurate as some other rifles in their style of firearms. Both these rifles where made to feed and fire. even if they are treated very rough. They can get dirty, muddy, run over [Don't try this at home] and still work. The parts are designed to fit pretty loose. So crud has a place to go. In doing this they lose a bit of accuracy, especially over long distances. But that is not to say they are not both worth owning and using. Out of the two I find the AKs to be a little lighter and the accuracy is for the most part the same.

A SKS will usually be a good bit less expensive ranging 200.00-500.00 depending on model and what was done to it before it got to you. The average SKS I see in shops price at the lower end of the scale. AKs are the same way but will run around 400.00 on the low end to as high as 1,000 for one that has had all kinds of things added to try and make them more accurate and cool looking.

Either of these rifles are find for hunting and target shooting but you will not make a ragged hole at 100-200 yards. I have hunted with an SKS and know a few that still will use either an AK or SKS rifles and do very well with them. But there are more accurate rifles out there.

It will come down to what you want to spend on your first semi auto lostchild and just how accurate you want this rifle to be. Cane mentioned an AR, these are more accurate. They are usually more expensive but ther are ways to cut costs like building it yourself. It's not near as hard as it sounds and if you don't run out and get every mall ninja add-on you can get the cost down considerably.

I own examples of all three of these rifles and I do like them all. Out of them all my AR is the best shooter but I don't have much trouble hitting my target with any of them out at 200 yards [my eyesight wont allow much further].

If I was getting into semi autos for the first time right now I'd probably go to the SKS first due mainly to price. Then work my way up to having them all. Both the SKS and AK are really fun to shoot. Ammo cost is not too bad and they will fit the needs of most shooters looking for a rifle that can reach out to 250 yards easily. Around here you wont get a shot off more than that with the hilly landscape we have.

Not taking away from the AR. They are great weapons and the 5.56/223 is a very good round. But thew OP was asking about the AK and SKS so I stayed mostly in that genre.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-01-2010, 10:03 PM   #13

Default Owned Both

I have owned a few AK and many SKS. There really is a lot of after market parts for the SKS as well as the AK. I usually get in to the SKS for alot cheaper. I have paid as little as $100 bucks for a norinco SKS that was painted camo and had feeding issues according to the previous owner. I stripped the paint with PB blaster that didnt hurt the factory finish. Took less then an hour. The I bought 20rn tapco mags and the gun shoots like a top.

I sold it for $300 to a friend of mine after I put a folding stock on it to.
Also it was a preban if that matters to ppl.

I also owned a Poly tech folding stock. Although it was better built feel then my WASR's It didnt group anywhhere near as good. I sold it for more then double what I had in it.

But I love the SKS as a good shooting, fun, cheap gun thats decently acc.

The AK is nice to have and I enjoy shooting mine sumtimes but I always end up shooting my SKS more.

I prefer the SKS imo but thats me. I do own both though.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:07 PM   #14

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Get the AK!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-01-2010, 10:40 PM   #15

My only Saiga is the .308, it does some damage.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:42 AM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

if it is price and you like the 7.62 x 39mm round than the sks will work

but if you like ak than that is what you want. the problem is there are alot of cheap crap ak's out there. if it looks cheap and is than it is just that (i.e. century arms) and my ak is alot more accurate than the sks with a way better trigger too. i also paid for all that though and waited almost 8 months for my lancaster milled underfold. do your research and good luck.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:11 PM   #17

Default Shernic

Who says the SKS can't be tacticool? Check out the new Shernic Bull pup stock.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:12 PM   #18

Default SKS Shernic Bull pup stock

Who says the SKS can't be tacticool? Check out the new Shernic Bull pup stock.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:47 AM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

there are alot of nice bullpup sks s on this site. i may look into making mine a bullpup for fun.

is that one a kit gunzRgood?

Old 10-04-2010, 12:19 AM   #20

Yes it is. From Shernic Gun Works. It sells for $159.95.
Store | Shernic Gun Works