Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   ak vs sks (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/ak-vs-sks-29793/)

lostchild 07-28-2010 08:59 PM

ak vs sks

Hi I'm very new to this type of firearm what is the difference between the two? Does one have any advantage over the other? All my other firearms are single shot, and want to go to a semiauto and don't know what to choose. Thanks in advance..... lost

orangello 07-28-2010 09:07 PM

I like my SKS quite a bit. It has been equipped with detachable 20 round magazines & a lighter weight stock with an adjustable-length buttstock. It seems to be a bit more accurate than my buddy's WASR-10 (semi-auto AK-type rifle). My buddy's WASR looks a bit more tacticool & is a little lighter weight. His magazines are a tiny bit simpler to use and to eject & replace (no duckbill).

They do use the same ammo; which is convenient.

To me, the AK-type is more fun for just plinking while the SKS is better for target practice. The AK-type would probably be easier to handle inside a building, home defense-wise. I would also feel MUCH more comfortable taking the SKS deer hunting, mostly due to its appearance.

canebrake 07-28-2010 09:15 PM

Take it from someone who was once an AK 'fan boy', save a few more bucks and get an AR. Or better yet, build one. And buy my AK!

crockett007 07-30-2010 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostchild (Post 321860)
Hi I'm very new to this type of firearm what is the difference between the two? Does one have any advantage over the other? All my other firearms are single shot, and want to go to a semiauto and don't know what to choose. Thanks in advance..... lost

Not much difference really. Obviously the SKS and the AKM are "different" designs as far as the gas operating systems, but, similar in function. There are aftermarket conversions available to convert the SKS to accept detachable mags. My SKS has a better trigger feel than my AK, due to the fact that the SKS is a traditional rifle stock and not a "pistol grip" set up.

They are both cheap to shoot and reasonably accurate to a point. SKS prices are getting a little ridiculous nowadays. I think you can pick up a WASR 10 AKM clone for less than you can find a used SKS in today's market.

If you stay away from certain vendors "frankensteined" AKM platforms, and don't mind the "evil rifle" stigma that comes with them, there are some $300 - $400 dollar AK's out there. A good SKS can run you around $500 and up.

General_lee 07-30-2010 02:31 PM

SKS for accuracy,

AK for fun, tacticool plinking.

You will probably eventually want both:D

diggsbakes 07-30-2010 09:39 PM

Everyone should own and frequently shoot at least one AK. I've never felt the need to go the route of the SKS, but then again, I've always owned AKs. :)

Get an AK, make it pretty and enjoy life. ;)

orangello 07-31-2010 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crockett007 (Post 322886)
A good SKS can run you around $500 and up.

Well, i'm feeling better about paying the $325~ for mine now. :)

patret 07-31-2010 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowryde45 (Post 323091)
Price - get an SKS. You'll find them alot cheaper than the typical AK. Unless, you get into the better models of SKS's.

Function - some say the SKS is more accurate, depends on what you are comparing - which models, etc. I'll put a couple of my AK's up against most SKS's out there. ;)

Efficiency - I'd say go with the AK, for the simple fact that you can load it with 10rd mags to Drums, for extended 'play'. Yes, some SKS's will take mags, too.

Over-all-cool-factor - :confused: I don't anything for that :rolleyes:

For a decent semi - either would do. The SKS will be the cheaper of the two to get into. Will be a little more accurate than the typical AK, in most hands. The AK will be easier to feed and keep shooting. More accessories for the AK, to customize it to meet your needs. The SKS also has some aftermarket parts, just not as many. If public impressions are a concern, the SKS would probably be a little less threatening than the look of an AK. ;)

I believe the SKS is more accurate because of the longer sight radius. The AK had a very short sight radius. The RPK has a longer sight radius and is as accurate as a AK but many people don`t know about this type of AK. I do believe that both the SKS and AK are more reliable than the M16 type rifles. They exhaust the spent gas away from the operating system not in it. This is my opinion because I have fired them a great deal.

patret

patret 08-01-2010 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowryde45 (Post 323727)

That is one fine looking rifle. Mine don`t have scopes.

patret

ROGER4314 08-01-2010 02:58 AM

I was able to compete with SKS rifles at 200 yards and won a first and second place award. The little rifles will shoot well but they don't have the "cool" factor of an AK-47. Most SKS triggers are long and gritty. I've had a pile of them and only one has a decent trigger. Overall, the SKS is a pretty nice, inexpensive rifle and extremely reliable. I've never had a malfunction with an SKS rifle.

I attempted to shoot several AK-47's in 200 yard competition but could never get them to group well enough to be competitive. A paper bulls eye doesn't lie and the results were not going to work in a match. Never actually got one to the firing line. The AK-47 has the COOL factor in capital letters. There's not a better looking rifle around and if you stay with man sized targets at 200 yards, they will shoot acceptably well. They are reliable as a rock. I've never had a malfunction with an AK-47. The triggers are better than an SKS but many suffer from "trigger slap" which pops your trigger finger back upon firing.