AK vs AR15
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > AK vs AR15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Default AK vs AR15

not what you think me and some guys at work got into a discussion today that with how the market is now a days that the AK is really a poor mans AR.

I like the AK I like how it feels like how it shoots, I don't need the fancy crap that goes along with the AR's. If I want a red dot or something along those lines they make new for arms that have the tac railing on them. I've taken coyote with an SKS just because where I hunt them it's as long range as some of the other places. I just don't need an AR I don't need to drop what almost a $1000+ to get one when an old russian/ chinese import does just fine.

What do you all think?

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #2

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I only dropped 700 on my AR but AK's are reliable rifles as long as you don't want to shoot that far.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I like/own both but the AR is much more versatile and if you get a quality AR they are just as reliable. Plus they are much more accurate, faster, lighter, etc.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-24-2012, 11:52 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 222 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 65

To me AR has more abilities to be modified and modern looks. And more accessories available. It can be modified for close combat or sniping rifle. While AK has classier looks and durable. They both are good rifles. I have DD AR for my first rifle and now i'm waiting for Bushnell Trophy red dot and Magpul CTR stock which i ordered online to be put on my Arsenal Saiga AK.
Will post both rifle pics when im done.
If i have to choose between these 2 awesome rifles, i'd definitely choose the AR imo.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:53 AM   #5

My only hangup with ar's was the 5.56 round, so I got the best of both worlds. Built my ar in 7.62x39. Heavy round, cheap ammo, and still get the highly versatile ar platform.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:09 AM   #6

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

I wouldn't call an AK a poor mans AR, it's more like a poor countries budget rifle (or something like that). It can be beat to death and still fire, which is what is what it was intended to do. The AR is made for high performance and accuracy, which makes them popular with many people because let's face it, what civilian will willingly beat the crap out of any gun? If I were fighting in a resistance, I would pick up an AK over an AR, not because either gun is superior, but because the AK is better suited for the job. Both weapons are very good at what they do, and putting one above the other does not do the other one justice. That is why I don't really agree with the idea that an AK is a poor man's AR.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:25 AM   #7

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

this thread will end in blood shed....they always do =)

I think both rifles are bad-ass. Its sort of like the cartoon 'spy vs spy'. Pick your poison and be happy.

If you judge the two rifles based on capability, the AR15 has better accuracy and more versatility. The AK47 has more reliability and packs a bigger punch.

As with anything in nature, you lose some and win some. Pick your rifle based on situation. Not public opinion.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:16 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop
this thread will end in blood shed....they always do =)

I think both rifles are bad-ass. Its sort of like the cartoon 'spy vs spy'. Pick your poison and be happy.

If you judge the two rifles based on capability, the AR15 has better accuracy and more versatility. The AK47 has more reliability and packs a bigger punch.

As with anything in nature, you lose some and win some. Pick your rifle based on situation. Not public opinion.
That's not entirely true. ARs have proven to be extremely reliable and with current bullet technology the 5.56 is more than capable. Picking the one you are more proficient with is probably good advise.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-25-2012, 03:00 AM   #9

Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts

The black rifle has come a long way as far as reliability and having trusted one with my life, it us my choice. I have about 700 bucks into my current clone and it's finished. Never had a hiccup in easily 1000 rounds.

Light to carry, easy to modify parts are plentiful. ammo is light, I shoot mostly WPA and cheap Feds unless I am hunting and Sometimes even then, So my ammo cost is low.

I love the AK. I think it is a fantastic firearm. It is battle proven no doubt. I feel an AR clone is more versatile. But it depends on what you are doing. I'd be more willing to beat on an old Russian AK than my black rifle.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:08 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

AK vs. AR? It's a pointless and moot comparison. think Apples vs. Oranges