Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   AK vs AR15 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/ak-vs-ar15-58673/)

unclebear 02-24-2012 04:58 PM

AK vs AR15

not what you think me and some guys at work got into a discussion today that with how the market is now a days that the AK is really a poor mans AR.

I like the AK I like how it feels like how it shoots, I don't need the fancy crap that goes along with the AR's. If I want a red dot or something along those lines they make new for arms that have the tac railing on them. I've taken coyote with an SKS just because where I hunt them it's as long range as some of the other places. I just don't need an AR I don't need to drop what almost a $1000+ to get one when an old russian/ chinese import does just fine.

What do you all think?

silverado113 02-24-2012 05:00 PM

I only dropped 700 on my AR but AK's are reliable rifles as long as you don't want to shoot that far.

mjkeat 02-25-2012 12:12 AM

I like/own both but the AR is much more versatile and if you get a quality AR they are just as reliable. Plus they are much more accurate, faster, lighter, etc.

okdonk 02-25-2012 12:52 AM

To me AR has more abilities to be modified and modern looks. And more accessories available. It can be modified for close combat or sniping rifle. While AK has classier looks and durable. They both are good rifles. I have DD AR for my first rifle and now i'm waiting for Bushnell Trophy red dot and Magpul CTR stock which i ordered online to be put on my Arsenal Saiga AK.
Will post both rifle pics when im done.
If i have to choose between these 2 awesome rifles, i'd definitely choose the AR imo.

littlejimmy 02-25-2012 01:53 AM

My only hangup with ar's was the 5.56 round, so I got the best of both worlds. Built my ar in 7.62x39. Heavy round, cheap ammo, and still get the highly versatile ar platform.

Georgiahunter 02-25-2012 02:09 AM

I wouldn't call an AK a poor mans AR, it's more like a poor countries budget rifle (or something like that). It can be beat to death and still fire, which is what is what it was intended to do. The AR is made for high performance and accuracy, which makes them popular with many people because let's face it, what civilian will willingly beat the crap out of any gun? If I were fighting in a resistance, I would pick up an AK over an AR, not because either gun is superior, but because the AK is better suited for the job. Both weapons are very good at what they do, and putting one above the other does not do the other one justice. That is why I don't really agree with the idea that an AK is a poor man's AR.

PrimePorkchop 02-25-2012 02:25 AM

this thread will end in blood shed....they always do =)

I think both rifles are bad-ass. Its sort of like the cartoon 'spy vs spy'. Pick your poison and be happy.

If you judge the two rifles based on capability, the AR15 has better accuracy and more versatility. The AK47 has more reliability and packs a bigger punch.

As with anything in nature, you lose some and win some. Pick your rifle based on situation. Not public opinion.

mjkeat 02-25-2012 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop
this thread will end in blood shed....they always do =)

I think both rifles are bad-ass. Its sort of like the cartoon 'spy vs spy'. Pick your poison and be happy.

If you judge the two rifles based on capability, the AR15 has better accuracy and more versatility. The AK47 has more reliability and packs a bigger punch.

As with anything in nature, you lose some and win some. Pick your rifle based on situation. Not public opinion.

That's not entirely true. ARs have proven to be extremely reliable and with current bullet technology the 5.56 is more than capable. Picking the one you are more proficient with is probably good advise.

Papa_Woody 02-25-2012 04:00 AM

The black rifle has come a long way as far as reliability and having trusted one with my life, it us my choice. I have about 700 bucks into my current clone and it's finished. Never had a hiccup in easily 1000 rounds.

Light to carry, easy to modify parts are plentiful. ammo is light, I shoot mostly WPA and cheap Feds unless I am hunting and Sometimes even then, So my ammo cost is low.

I love the AK. I think it is a fantastic firearm. It is battle proven no doubt. I feel an AR clone is more versatile. But it depends on what you are doing. I'd be more willing to beat on an old Russian AK than my black rifle.

RufusTFirefly 02-25-2012 04:08 AM

AK vs. AR? It's a pointless and moot comparison. think Apples vs. Oranges