AK upgrade - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > AK upgrade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2009, 08:47 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here is the page to centerfire systems. The prices have dropped ALOT!

Centerfire Systems - AK Firearms

I recomend the yugo undrfolder. Yugos are the crem de la crem. But you said that you dont want a under folder yugo so next up I recomend a bulgarian. Unless the specs have changed they have a 1.5 mil reciever like the yugos, beefier milled parts, and the barrels are crome lined wich alot of people prefer for maintenanvce reasons. It meets your requierments and price range.

These prices are reflective of pre obama prices of more than a year ago and are very fair!

SI VIC PACEM PARABELLUM

Old 10-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah, They look pretty much identical to the AKs on several dealers websites and the ones at my local gun store.

They're all from parts kits assembled by CAI. Same selection.

There are other builders besides Arsenal for a good AK. Lancaster Consulting offers a lifetime factory warranty on their builds. Look around.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:17 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The 5.45x39 bulgy and yugo M70B are parts kit made but the bulgy 7.62x39 is a bulgarian import and considered to be one of the better made in resent years.

SI VIC PACEM PARABELLUM

Old 10-06-2009, 04:14 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazurd View Post
Sorry im sure this has been posted before but ive searched the site over and over and i cant find any specific information regarding my questions. I have owned a Wasr-10 for a few years now and enjoy it alot but i have the crazy urge to buy a bit higher quality one. Something that is well fitted and not as wobbely as my Wasr. Not to say the wasr isnt reliable, (which it is of course.) Im looking for something mid priced in the 600-700 dollar range, possibly a bit higher if a nice Ak it is... Also if you make a suggestion to a particular model or brand a link to a reliable online dealer if (If you know of one.) Would also be helpful. Any Help on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Charlie
There are several options available through Classic Arms. Theses guys have some of the best prices around. I've purchased several rifles from them:

Classic Arms Inc.

There's a BULGARIAN SSR-85C AK RIFLE for $649.95. These are considered to be pretty nice shooters.

They also have the 1975 AK GP 7.62X39 S/A RIFLE, which is made of Romanian and US made parts, but uses more US made parts (barrel and receiver) than the average Romanian AK. I've heard good things about them. They're going for $479.95.

And they have the YUGO M70 AB2 RIFLE (which I own and love) for $549.95. These rifles are great! I bought mine as my first AK several years ago and paid $700 for it.

Good luck!

Last edited by ARnoob; 10-06-2009 at 06:51 PM. Reason: added info

Old 10-06-2009, 05:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
...There are other builders besides Arsenal for a good AK. Lancaster Consulting offers a lifetime factory warranty on their builds. Look around.
My Lancaster was 700 new in the box, and it is the tightest fitting, furthest hitting AK I have ever handled. It feels more like an M1 carbine than an AK. A lot more kick to it than other AKs I have used, and mine at least is way more accurate.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:50 PM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Rambler View Post
My Lancaster was 700 new in the box, and it is the tightest fitting, furthest hitting AK I have ever handled. It feels more like an M1 carbine than an AK. A lot more kick to it than other AKs I have used, and mine at least is way more accurate.
That was in 7.62, right? How are the groups from 100 yards? I'm looking in the 5.45 Bulgy's, they are supposed to provide even more accuracy. What do you think? Have you shot any of them?

Old 10-25-2009, 06:20 AM   #17

The Romanian AK's are very good guns.
I mean it's an AK, they are like Planet of the apes type weapons that work. I took an SAR-1 in 7.62X39mm and updated it with a bayo-lug gas block, had the muzzle threaed and put a Romanian side folder on it, I recently switched the forearm back to a standard laminated. The grip is a US FAL type to keep it legal.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:35 AM   #18

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowryde45 View Post
if you wanted to save up a little bit more, these are some of the best of what is out there...

k-var Arsenal Inc AK's

Arsenal Inc puts out some of the best AK's out there right now, IMHO.

For something more in that price range...

J&G Sales

I like their Bulgarian models and the Polish Tantal w/ folding stock, but they are AK-74. So you'd be using 5.45x39 ammunition and mags - not sure if that would be an issue for you.

You might also consider the VZ2008, which is a copy of the Czech VZ58, in 7.62x39, will take all the same mags and ammunition as your WASR.

Or the Yugo M70AB2, with underfolder stock, or the Yugo RPK M72 rifle.

You might also look on Gunbroker

Slo
This is a great gun but it will NOT take AK mags. infact, ammo is the only thing that the vz58/2008 and the AK's have in common other than look from 20 feet away.

I have heard quite a bit of trash talking of the 2008 but I have to say that mine is an excelent gun. Cheaper than an AK, lighter, better overall design, and still shoots x39.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:21 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumman View Post
This is a great gun but it will NOT take AK mags.
First of all, congrats on bumping a nearly 2 year old thread. Second, you are wrong. Arsenal uses Saiga's as a base gun to convert their rifles. Saiga's, in stock form, will TAKE an AK mag, but will not feed properly. You can install a "bullet guide" onto a Saiga and it will accept and properly feed standard AK mags. This part costs $15-$20. When Arsenal converts their rifles, they also install bullet guides, and therefore Arsenal AK rifles will accept AK mags.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:50 PM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjf915 View Post
First of all, congrats on bumping a nearly 2 year old thread. Second, you are wrong. Arsenal uses Saiga's as a base gun to convert their rifles. Saiga's, in stock form, will TAKE an AK mag, but will not feed properly. You can install a "bullet guide" onto a Saiga and it will accept and properly feed standard AK mags. This part costs $15-$20. When Arsenal converts their rifles, they also install bullet guides, and therefore Arsenal AK rifles will accept AK mags.
Totally agree on the (terrible) "thread-bump", but I don't think he is referring to Saigas. I believe he is referring to VZ58s, which won't take an AK mag and are basically a completely different firearm. Decent design, but not nearly as versatile, due to the lack of aftermarket parts. Everything will "almost" fit and replacement parts were an issue for some time (may not be now, I don't know).

The VZ mags are 3x the cost of AK mags. . .