AK upgrade
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > AK upgrade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2009, 06:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default AK upgrade

Sorry im sure this has been posted before but ive searched the site over and over and i cant find any specific information regarding my questions. I have owned a Wasr-10 for a few years now and enjoy it alot but i have the crazy urge to buy a bit higher quality one. Something that is well fitted and not as wobbely as my Wasr. Not to say the wasr isnt reliable, (which it is of course.) Im looking for something mid priced in the 600-700 dollar range, possibly a bit higher if a nice Ak it is... Also if you make a suggestion to a particular model or brand a link to a reliable online dealer if (If you know of one.) Would also be helpful. Any Help on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Charlie

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Last edited by Biohazurd; 09-16-2009 at 06:24 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-16-2009, 07:02 AM   #2

id say that in your price range id probably buy a Yugo M70 either with the under folding stock or without that up to you... i think they are probably the best in that range...just make sure that it is not one of the ones that century put together from a kit.... they assemble guns like drunk monkeys....... they can be bought at most of the well known sites like classicarms.com

have a good day, and good luck.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:56 AM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Ive checked quite a few sites for the M70 but most seem to have only the folding stock AB2 version, and i really would rather have full stock AB1, seeing as it along with my wasr are mostly range guns as well as home defence the full stock is much more comfortable to shoot imo...

Also what would a common online price be for the M70AB1, and any suggestions of online dealers that might have it in stock?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Last edited by Biohazurd; 09-16-2009 at 08:25 AM.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:06 PM   #4

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You might want to consider a Norinco MAK, if you don't mind not having a bayonet lug, etc. They are available (milled, in your range or less) and stamped. They have the best trigger of any production AK IMHO, and the receiver, trunnion and barrel are thicker. (1.5mm)

For more traditional tastes, pre-ban 56's are out there as well, and prices in general seem to be coming down

Old 09-16-2009, 03:44 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

if you wanted to save up a little bit more, these are some of the best of what is out there...

k-var Arsenal Inc AK's

Arsenal Inc puts out some of the best AK's out there right now, IMHO.

For something more in that price range...

J&G Sales

I like their Bulgarian models and the Polish Tantal w/ folding stock, but they are AK-74. So you'd be using 5.45x39 ammunition and mags - not sure if that would be an issue for you.

You might also consider the VZ2008, which is a copy of the Czech VZ58, in 7.62x39, will take all the same mags and ammunition as your WASR.

Or the Yugo M70AB2, with underfolder stock, or the Yugo RPK M72 rifle.

You might also look on Gunbroker

Slo

Old 09-27-2009, 10:23 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

The Polish tantal has been the gun of interest for me lately. A guy form the range described his as "One shootin' son of a bitch!" It seems to be solid, but I've been hearing so many bad reviews about CAI, however I have never personally had a problem with any of the WASRs from them.

The advantage of the 74 variants is there is plenty of cheap ammo available, although it is mostly at least mildly corrosive.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:27 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Arsenal Inc.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:58 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Like someone else said you may want to keep waiting. Prices are steadily declining. You already have a reliable shooter. That 600-700 price range may come close to buying you an Arsenal AK in a few months time if this decline keeps up.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:37 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

That's a big "if". I've been playing that game for a while and I hope some little event doesn't screw me. Prices are looking so sweet I saw WASR 10 at Big R for $399. That's comin' close to half of the peak. Which of course is when I bought my last one...

Old 10-04-2009, 08:54 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
That's a big "if". I've been playing that game for a while and I hope some little event doesn't screw me. Prices are looking so sweet I saw WASR 10 at Big R for $399. That's comin' close to half of the peak. Which of course is when I bought my last one...
That's a decent price on the WASR 10. They aren't bad, but see if you can look through a few different ones, look down the sights to make sure the front sights aren't canted and that everything lines up. That will also give you the chance to pick through them to find one that gives you the warm and fuzzies, as far as fit and finish, too. Look at the J & G Sales site:

J & G Sales

To get an idea of all the different 'flavors' of WASR 10's that are available right now, as well as a few other choices in AK's, too.

Slo