AK troubles
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > AK troubles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2011, 11:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AK troubles

i took my century arms wasr 10 to the range the other day to shoot it for the first time. it shot more accurately than i thought it would. the only issue is it would fail to eject the round or the bolt wouldnt go all the way forward after every two or three shots. it only has maybe 90 rounds through it. does it just need to be broken in more, do i need different magazines or ammo? anyone have any ideas?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-20-2011, 11:28 PM   #2

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

What ammo are you using?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-21-2011, 02:30 AM   #3

im using Tulammo. cheapest stuff i can find. i found some wolf ammo for 5 bucks a box tho and i think im gona start using that. my dad has always used it in his sks and theres never been an issue

Old 08-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #4

Liked 1000 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

Is it a new gun or used? And is it clean?

When you rack the action manually does it feel like it sticks? And if you ride the bolt back into battery does it hang on the hammer? This is pretty common for WASRs and it should smooth out a little over hundreds of rounds. My WASR did this pretty bad when new, but never malfunctioned with live ammo, now that it's five years old the bolt and hammer mesh together pretty smoothly now but I can get the bolt to hang if I slowly ride the action back.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Is it a new gun or used? And is it clean?

When you rack the action manually does it feel like it sticks? And if you ride the bolt back into battery does it hang on the hammer? This is pretty common for WASRs and it should smooth out a little over hundreds of rounds. My WASR did this pretty bad when new, but never malfunctioned with live ammo, now that it's five years old the bolt and hammer mesh together pretty smoothly now but I can get the bolt to hang if I slowly ride the action back.
yes to all of your questions lol. im gonna try using higher quality ammo and see how that works out. but it does get hung up when i ride the bolt forward slowly.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #6

Liked 1000 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

Hopefully different ammo will help but an AK should work with the cheap stuff. You might want to polish up the contact surfaces of the bolt and hammer, it should help (and keep that area lubed). I never did that but have heard it helped some people.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:38 PM   #7

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 37

My first AK was a WASR10 & it felt like it was full of grit for the first 500rds or so after doing a little polishing of all the surfaces that showed any rubbing, it works fine now. The Golden Tiger & all the Bear brands work best in my WASR.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:34 PM   #8

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 727

Did you clean the pistol tube? Spring? Run hot water down the bore and gas tube? It is short stroking, usually due to a bit of crude in the gas block.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:42 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Does it have a rubber buffer installed? These can wreak havok on reliability. Sure looks like short stroking. Buffers can cause that as well as fouling in the gas system.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-22-2011, 06:45 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Chances are there's a burr that was left after port-drilling that WILL have to be pushed out somehow, that's a frequent Century complaint.

If there's a brand new bolt, sometimes the machined "cam-lugs" can be sharp as hell and catch in the trunnion. I'd check all contacting surfaces in the action and smooth up where you think there might be a hang-up. All AKs need this at some point.

I bet if you ran 250 rounds down the pipe it'd clear up, though.