Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   AK troubles (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/ak-troubles-47138/)

bmatt1 08-20-2011 11:25 PM

AK troubles

i took my century arms wasr 10 to the range the other day to shoot it for the first time. it shot more accurately than i thought it would. the only issue is it would fail to eject the round or the bolt wouldnt go all the way forward after every two or three shots. it only has maybe 90 rounds through it. does it just need to be broken in more, do i need different magazines or ammo? anyone have any ideas?

canebrake 08-20-2011 11:28 PM

What ammo are you using?

bmatt1 08-21-2011 02:30 AM

im using Tulammo. cheapest stuff i can find. i found some wolf ammo for 5 bucks a box tho and i think im gona start using that. my dad has always used it in his sks and theres never been an issue

Quentin 08-21-2011 07:03 PM

Is it a new gun or used? And is it clean?

When you rack the action manually does it feel like it sticks? And if you ride the bolt back into battery does it hang on the hammer? This is pretty common for WASRs and it should smooth out a little over hundreds of rounds. My WASR did this pretty bad when new, but never malfunctioned with live ammo, now that it's five years old the bolt and hammer mesh together pretty smoothly now but I can get the bolt to hang if I slowly ride the action back.

bmatt1 08-21-2011 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 567409)
Is it a new gun or used? And is it clean?

When you rack the action manually does it feel like it sticks? And if you ride the bolt back into battery does it hang on the hammer? This is pretty common for WASRs and it should smooth out a little over hundreds of rounds. My WASR did this pretty bad when new, but never malfunctioned with live ammo, now that it's five years old the bolt and hammer mesh together pretty smoothly now but I can get the bolt to hang if I slowly ride the action back.

yes to all of your questions lol. im gonna try using higher quality ammo and see how that works out. but it does get hung up when i ride the bolt forward slowly.

Quentin 08-21-2011 07:24 PM

Hopefully different ammo will help but an AK should work with the cheap stuff. You might want to polish up the contact surfaces of the bolt and hammer, it should help (and keep that area lubed). I never did that but have heard it helped some people.

7.62 Man 08-21-2011 09:38 PM

My first AK was a WASR10 & it felt like it was full of grit for the first 500rds or so after doing a little polishing of all the surfaces that showed any rubbing, it works fine now. The Golden Tiger & all the Bear brands work best in my WASR.

jpattersonnh 08-21-2011 11:34 PM

Did you clean the pistol tube? Spring? Run hot water down the bore and gas tube? It is short stroking, usually due to a bit of crude in the gas block.

robocop10mm 08-21-2011 11:42 PM

Does it have a rubber buffer installed? These can wreak havok on reliability. Sure looks like short stroking. Buffers can cause that as well as fouling in the gas system.

diggsbakes 08-22-2011 06:45 PM

Chances are there's a burr that was left after port-drilling that WILL have to be pushed out somehow, that's a frequent Century complaint.

If there's a brand new bolt, sometimes the machined "cam-lugs" can be sharp as hell and catch in the trunnion. I'd check all contacting surfaces in the action and smooth up where you think there might be a hang-up. All AKs need this at some point.

I bet if you ran 250 rounds down the pipe it'd clear up, though.