Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > AK/SKS accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2009, 05:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AK/SKS accuracy

In general, is it true that factory SKS are more accurate than AKs?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-23-2009, 06:45 AM   #2

both of our yugo sks's shoot tighter groups than our romy ak.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:57 PM   #3

Default SKS Scope, good or bad?

I was told it's good because they're hard to shoot accurate anyways...Whats the best scope and whats the cheapest? I was told the side mount scopes are great? Thanks guys

Old 10-23-2009, 02:06 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman View Post
I was told it's good because they're hard to shoot accurate anyways...Whats the best scope and whats the cheapest? I was told the side mount scopes are great? Thanks guys
An SKS in the hands of someone who knows how to shoot will put the rounds where they are supposed to go. There's nothing difficult or tricky to shooting one. But if you can't shoot iron sights because you have not mastered the basics--hold, breathing, trigger--a scope isn't going to make you any better.

Instead of rushing out to buy a scope, I would recommend that you spend the money on a case of ammo and get intimately familiar with the rifle "as is".

Old 10-23-2009, 02:27 PM   #5

I put my target at 30ish yards the first time i shot it to just see how it shot bc I've never shot one before, I did just get it however so ur idea does make since considering ammo is much more valuable for practice than spending money on ammo and scope, stupid ammo prices!

Do you know anything about 375 Winchester Lever Action? These guns were inherited, I'm going to shoot it next weekend, are these as accurate to shoot as good as the shooter is, hold,breathing, trigger? and if you had these and wanted to get rid of one, which one would it be? I'd say keep the sks, really fun to shoot, but I haven't shot the 375 yet...I'm a rookie with rifles, new to owning them...

Thanks

Old 10-24-2009, 01:01 PM   #6

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A couple things you can do to improve the accuracy on the SKS,first replace the front sight post with a Techsight target post,it's about half the dia. of the original post If your going to be shooting commie ammo try several different brands and see what your rifle shoots the most accurately and stick with it.

They all shoot to different point of aim,so everytime you switch between whats the cheapest ammo of the day you need to rezero or your just chasing your tail around. Get yourself a sight adjustment tool $8 for the combo tool. Zero your SKS or AK at 50 yds.first so your not affected by wind or your bad shooting habits and you can see the affects your sight adjustment more precisely.

Use a small bullseye 1" orange dot on white paper aim small shoot small,you can get a pack of the stick on orange dots at wally World. Once you have it zeroed and can shoot consistent groups at 50 yds. then move out to 100 yds. you shouldn't have to make very much of an adjustment. Reloads tuned to the rifle can improve accuracy even more but I know everyone doesn't do that or have the means to.

Techsight on bottom of page
Tech-SIGHTS Precision Shooting Accessories

Last edited by res45; 10-24-2009 at 01:04 PM.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:34 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My SKS is very accurate. Practice. Practice. Practice.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:50 AM   #8

there are a lot of differant SKS,s out there some have screw in barrels with a larger shank. some have spindly 19mm press in barrels that are pinned.

I have a milled russian unissued SKS with the screw in barrel and it is not any morre accurate than some of my Ak,s. adding sites/optics and doing trigger work dosent make the gun more accurate, they make it easier to shoot it more acccurately by removing some of the human factor. the inhareted accuracy of the two guns are very simular. the AK has a shorter sight radius to it is harder to shot. most AKM,s in 7.62x39 have 23mm barrel shank this is much better than the 19mm barrel on many SKS for accuracy.

Im all for learing to shoot with irons but if you are really going to get serious about what gun is more accurate you got to get the human factor out of the equation. I use big scopes on my AKs when doing load development. I need to see when I have made a 1/16" differance in a group and not just had better eyes that day.

I havent spent much time with the SKS as far as triggers and all the stuff I do to my AK.s I hve several AK,s with factory barrels that will shot under 1" groups at 100 yards. Most guy I talk to that have both guns in stock form say they do better with the SKS, however when I shoot with them my scoped and trigger worked AK,s out shoots them by a considerable amount. That tells me its not how accurate the gun is but what gun is the easiest to shot accuratly. If the SKS was still cheap Id like to build a target version using the stuff I have learned with the AK and see what it can really do. it will likely come out what has better barrel quality. the AK does have looser bolt/carrier clearances but I suspect you would have to get down in the 1/2" group range before action stiffness and bolt fit will make a differance in the two guns.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:00 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8445 Times on 3663 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Well, there is arsenal quality, and custom re-built (or built) quality.

In the issued military configuration, the SKS probably has a tad of an edge over the AK- longer barrel (about 20.5 vs 16.3 inches) and a better bolt fit.

HOWEVER, in comparison to a high quality civilian hunting rifle (thinking of a Browning BAR) relative accuracy is like two hookers arguing over virtue. They both have a barrel mount that is not the world's best, both have hammers that resemble a barn door slamming shut, and triggers that resemble cracking walnuts with pliers. Their sights are basic pointing mechanisms.

OTOH, they were never intended as long range rifles- they are carbines. Within 300 meters they will shoot minute-of-human. And they are as reliable as all get out. Complaining about their long range accuracy is like complaining about the M-1 carbine at 1000 meters- neither the M-1 carbine nor it's ammo was intended to be used at that range.

Can you imrove the accuracy of the SKS or the AK? Yes, a LOT. But if you mean accuracy at LONG range, IMHO, you would do better to start with a rifle and cartridge intended for long range.

PS- I DO have a scoped SKS- with the much maligned bolt cover scope mount. However, the mount was a VERY tight "file to fit" and does not shift around. Am using a compact Chinese 5X scope, and it does what is needed. If yours does not require metal working to fit it to the rifle, is probably too loose to hold a zero.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 10-28-2009, 03:24 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCoastie89 View Post
In general, is it true that factory SKS are more accurate than AKs?
In general yes. Of course this depends on the make of SKS and who built the AK. AK47s suffer from poor sights and this will impact shooter accuracy. A very short sight radius and being a blade sight equals fail. Also many AKs in country have crappy Tapco triggers that don't exactly lend themselves to impressive groups. Adding an optic such as a LaRue Irondot or something similiar will improver shooter accuracy with an AK ten fold.