Ak or sks
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Ak or sks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ak or sks

What is the better rifle as far as accuracy, dependability and ammo availability?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Basically the same rifle. Imo the sks tends to be more accurate. Good luck getting ammo or the gun at a decent price right now.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #3

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

They are almost the same reliability wise but the AL wins by a small margin, the SKS is usually seen as more accurate, and that is a useless talking point as they both fire the 7.62x39 round.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #4

Liked 72 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I've owned both, and liked both, but right now all I have is a yugo sks. Dang I wish I'd kept those AK's. If you have a chance to buy an AK or sks I'd jump on it!

Old 02-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #5

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I have both now. I think the SKS is a little more accurate but the AK is a little easier to carry around. Ammo is hard to get for them at the moment bu tit should calm down at some point.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #6

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 10

they are both accurate in single fire mode
they are both dependable
same ammo

well they are different eras of the same cartridge. I like my SKS, I have shot both US and captured AK's. it really comes down to what you are using it for. Now, if you are looking for mag capacity and such, the AK is designed for 30+ rounds, the SKS mags can be hit or miss as it was designed for a fixed mag.

I like the SKS as a hunting platform, the kind of balance that i like. but he AK seems more self defense to my feel. just my opinion. go and handle each one. ensure both are factory setups, then test aftermarket, if you want to get the feel for what you want.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I like my SKS spike bayonet better than my buddy's attachable WASR bayonet.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 02-08-2013 at 03:57 PM. Reason: corrected for stupidity
DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 02-08-2013, 02:32 AM   #8

Liked 220 Times on 145 Posts

I was at my LGS yesterday he had 4 SKS's all used ranging between $550-$800 whoa. Seems like just a few years ago you could get them everywhere for between $100-$125.
Crazy times.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:41 AM   #9

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierTCB View Post
I was at my LGS yesterday he had 4 SKS's all used ranging between $550-$800 whoa. Seems like just a few years ago you could get them everywhere for between $100-$125.
Crazy times.
Some years back I could have bought them by the case and paid 58 bucks a rifle. I even had seen M and D models under 200 bucks as much as a few years ago. I watched a M model SKS in an ATI stock sell...High bid was 1400 bucks
I have a M model here in an ATI stock. I have no interest in selling it as I like having two rifles that use the same mags. Also it seems that SKS I paid 225 for several years ago is not my most expensive rifle

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-08-2013, 02:48 AM   #10

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts

Eh? No love for the SVT-40? If you have not seen them, look them up -- much like an SKS but in 7.62 x 54mm. A very fun and useful rifle but slightly hard to find at a reasonable price in the US.

Between SKS and AK, it depends on what you want from it. If you want a bit more range go with the SKS (or a longer barreled AK). If you want a shorter, really maneuverable rifle that is fairly quick to reload, get the AK.