Is an AK really that bad?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Is an AK really that bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Is an AK really that bad?

They say that the AK is obsolete.They say that the AK is inaccurate.They say that the AK is heavy.They say AK round is uneffective.They say they that the AK operating mechanism makes the rifle uncontrolable.

Actually, many people have many bad things to say about the AK platform.
But how many of them are true?

Let's examine some facts:
1)They say that the AK is obsolete
It can be easely and rapidly upgraded with rails system(almost on any part of the rifle), new handguards, muzzle brake, recoil reducing buttstock, new sights,different safety.You can keep the good characteristics of the rifle and improve the bad ones(Like the so-called ''un-controlability'', muzzle climb,etc....including bad habits...yes, many people don't even know how to hold/handle it...and then they say that the rifle is not accurate)
2)They say that the AK is inaccurate
Modern warfare consists in fighting at a distance 150-350m (160-382yds).For the records:Using any rifle with iron sights or other optics(Red dot, ACOG, Holographic,etc) which were not made for accurate/long range shooting(Usually, they're (sniper) scopes o similar optics) at a distance above 200m, is simply stupid(A waste of ammo).An AK can be used to shoot a target placed at 200m away.You don't need anything more than this.You don't believe it?Ask the Spetznaz and the best and well-trained armies/units around the world.
3)They say AK is heavy
What do you mean with ''Heavy''?The majority of assult rifles has a weight between 3.1 and 4.7(Depending on the model, ammo and design)kgs.An Ak pattern rifle can weigh from 2.1 kg(e.g. Galil ACE) to 4.1 kg(I'm just taking in consideration the assault rifles).Is that really that ''heavy''?
4)They say AK round is uneffective
Uneffective?It can pierce several human bodies,concrete blocks and many body armors(till level 3 protection).Do you have some complains regaring the bad ration between penetration and stopping power/Lethality?Try m67 ammo, developed by Serbs to make the 7,62 more destructive and behave like the 5.56x45.
5)The rifle is uncontrolable, especially during rapid fire/full auto
The AKs were ''designed'' as a ''machinegun''/''submachinegun''.Even Kalashnikov calls it ''Submachinegun''(Even if it has more characteristic of an assualt rifle, than a smg).It is not a carbine, it is not a sniper rifle, it is not hunting rifle.So you have to hold it properly to obtain the maximum performace.Many people simply don't hold/handle the weapon well or shoot the rifle by holding the shooting position/stance in the wrong way.The AKs have a long-stroke piston attached to the carrier, and it goes violently backward and forward.It's true...but you can minimize the effects by holding/handling properly the weapon, by holding correctly the shooting position and, obviously, with some practice.

Am I the only one who thinks so?

Last edited by theeuropeangoth; 01-17-2013 at 10:32 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Not at all. I think you're spot on man. The AK variant has proven itself to be an accurate reliable rifle. People who expect sub MOA accuracy from an AK variant rifle are just silly and are putting a lot of unrealistic expectations on the rifle. That's not what it was designed for. The same with the AR platform. They have a smaller "less effective" round and are rarely as accurate as people think they are. A battle rifle is generally a ~3 MOA rifle. You want more power and accuracy then get a .338 lapua or .300 win mag bolt rifle.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

can i get a pic of the proper stance and holding position of an ak pretty please? and yes i am serious :-D

Old 01-18-2013, 01:23 AM   #4

Liked 2194 Times on 1292 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessdragon View Post
can i get a pic of the proper stance and holding position of an ak pretty please? and yes i am serious :-D
Go to YouTube and search Travis Haley and AK or Sonny Puzikas. There should be good video of them running AK with effective stance. Sonny is former Spetsnaz and has videos on AK drills, mag changes, etc.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:54 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5739 Times on 3248 Posts
Likes Given: 5169

The AK-74 is a great rifle. That 5.54X39 round packs a pnch.

The AK-47 is obsolescent.

Winston Churchill

Old 01-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Proper stance and hold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessdragon View Post
I haven't any picture right now....I can only take some and send them to you.

Some things are REALLY IMPORTANT:

BACK:The upper part of the back of the operator must be slightly curver forward.
ARMS AND SHOULDERS:The shoulder and the arms should be as close to the body as possible(When you shout the rifle, the recoil and muzzle climb will move the barrel up-right(if you're right-handed) or up-left(if you're left handed).Frankly speaking:It is just like shooting a thompson 1921...the stance/hold is very similar to the AK one.
HAND:Inicially, Russians trained their troops to grab the handguards.I would opt for the magazine or a foregrip(If present).
Knee:Slightly bent(weaver stance)

A golden rule to shoot properly an AK?WEAVER-LIKE POSITION!!!(Never keep your leg parrallel to each other!!)

Last edited by theeuropeangoth; 01-18-2013 at 10:15 AM.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #7

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

What you just described is pretty much the universal shooting position that MOST people inherently do not use. there must be something "natural" about leaning way back with your chest pointed to the sky while shooting, because you see so many people doing it instead of having that "athletic stance" with a forward lean into the weapon.

however, I'll say that the offset weaver stance is out dated unless you're just target shooting.

in a "gun fight" you want to square up to your target so you have more maneuverability, you can shift left/right, Forward/reverse as needed. try being mobile while shooting from the weaver stance. Plus, if you're with the military or police...or you're just one of those crazy guys ready for the Russians to invade over the N pole... If you're wearing body armor of any kind, the protection is designed to be "square on" to the chest/back, and turning yourself sideways into a weaver stance takes your body armor and moves it to the side, exposing your vulnerable sides to the direction the bullets are coming from.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #8
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

The AK is just as good as an AR is overall and it is more reliable

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 01-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #9

Liked 625 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullautoUSA
The AK is just as good as an AR is overall and it is more reliable
Spoken for pure myth...
Old 01-18-2013, 11:10 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Go to YouTube and search Travis Haley and AK or Sonny Puzikas. There should be good video of them running AK with effective stance. Sonny is former Spetsnaz and has videos on AK drills, mag changes, etc.
Thanks for the heads-up on Sonny Puzikas. Brings me back, way back. Thanks.