AK questions - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion >

AK questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 11:00 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 30 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post
I just purchased my very first AK-47. I need you to tell me if I got an old clunker or a good one. I love it and think it is amazing !

The AK says GOLDEN STATE ARMS DISTRIBUTORS, INC
MANHATTAN BEACH. CA
AK47S 7.62X39MM
MADE IN CHINA

It has everything ! The cleaning rod, The cleaning accessories hidden in the little butt stalk compartment- all the numbers match on all the parts. It is really cool because I didn’t know AK’s were so amazingly built.

So since I don’t know anything about AK-47’s or what country made the good ones, I need you to tell me if I have a Mercedes's here or a Clunker lemon?

What say you ?
One of the first import companies around 1984 which makes your rifle pre-ban, complete with accessories and matching numbers too?

I would say you have a Ferrari there!

Old 09-22-2013, 11:09 PM   #12

Liked 4795 Times on 2681 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

It seems to me more Oriental countries have used the AK rifles in the past 50 years. The Chinese have the largest Military in the world and they are used in very tropical conditions. These are not primary shoulder weapons. These are close range urban warfare arms. They were intended for auto-firing from the side.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:23 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6787 Times on 3608 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyslexic_llama View Post
The average Russian is 6'0, Serbs on average stand about 6'1-6'3.

Perpetuating the myth that the short length of pull is due to shorter height is not true and a tale from the cold war that spawned because someone said "communists don't eat as much, so they're shorter."

The short length of pull is there because these weapons come from regions of the world where it gets very cold and thus equates to the use of very thick winter clothing, anyone who has had to use a rifle in winter will understand.

Not trying to be argumentative, but the truth boils down to heavy winter clothes and not shorter height.
thats true of one small portion of soviet russian empire of the time. thats like using jersey to say most americans talk funny.

russians always build to the most common denominator. during the ww2 time average height of a euro was 1.5m. thats why bdc in soviet sniper rifles are set to 1.5m in the 50's and later in the 70's they changed to 1.6 and finally 1.7 and 1.8 when their main threat turned to be the USA.

spend anytime with a mosin or sks they are all geared to shorter lop i shoot mine all year long even in extreme cold wearing thinck clothing its a very short lop.

anyway its not myth the average soviet soldier of the cold war were pretty small compaired to today.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 09-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4361 Times on 2948 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Dyslexic llama
I'd like to see where you got your biometric data from.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #15

Liked 30 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Dyslexic llama
I'd like to see where you got your biometric data from.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Average_height

Assuming Russia is the same as the US, with comparable average heights of 5'9-5'10, when in reality closer to 6'0 on average because testing pools are usually quite limited to a couple of thousand and not truly representative of an entire population.

Last edited by dyslexic_llama; 09-25-2013 at 05:19 PM.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

To OP - the dust cover aka "pencil box" is not a great base, especially for magnifying optics. The side rail, while not native to the original infantry rifle, is the only reliable base that will hold zero for your AK. You can choose a hybrid picatinny-top console, or an integrated east European scope.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:54 PM   #17

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

The OPAP (3rd gen) is supposed to use double stack mags (versus the earlier models that had to be machined out to accept them, as well as change the bolt) so poor machining could be ruled out. Cant really come up with any other reason for the problem.
Sounds like you do need to alter your stance tho, your cheek shouldnt be up against the dust cover. An add on pad would help also.
The dust cover is a poor place for optics, as has been said. Not sure if theyd fit, but there are railed upper handguards that can accept red dots and such. May or may not be any more secure tho.
Ive heard that the OPAPs are very good rifles but that they wont accept standard furniture, i dont know for sure. May or may not be an issue for you.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62 Man
Your sore cheek is from sighting with too short of a stock, the original wood stocks are made for the short shooter. The US shooter is way too long of a neck to shoot comfortably with this short stock. Here is a way to add length to your stock & they sell a cheek rest too. http://www.thecountryshed.com/sks_accessories.htm Go down the page to where is says E&L Stock Extensions. If your AK has a side rail use it with a mount like this, it will become your best friend. http://www.mountsplus.com/AR-15_Accessories/AR-15_Scope_Rings/136-AIMS-MK004S.html If it doesn't something like this could help there are a bunch of differant styles out there. http://www.mountsplus.com/AR-15_Accessories/AR-15_Scope_Rings/136-AIMS-MK005T.html or http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/how-to-scope-your-ak-47-texas-weapons-systems-hi-lux-cmr-ak762/ If you put a good scope on your ak you won't believe the difference it makes.
The Yugo OPap M70 stock is much longer than the standard AKM stock. It's LOP is 13.5

Old 09-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The O-Pap LOP is 13.5 which is much longer than the standard AKM also it's stock is not compatable with the standard AK. They are a breed of there own. Build like a tank and accurate as hell with that RPK reciever!
dyslexic_llama Likes This 
Old 09-25-2013, 07:17 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Dyslexic llama-

An average male in today's Russia is 5'9". In the past he was much shorter. Continental Europeans also used to be smaller than Americans for generations. The average German POW in the aftermath of the D Day was 5'6" tall, according to the War Department stats. Sorry to tell you, you made too many assumptions for a myth-busting statement.