Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > AK questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 62 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default AK questions

Just got my first AK47...It's an M70 OPAP, arrived yesterday from J&G. Cleaned and lubed it and then took to range today.
To sight it you have to have your cheek against the back end of the dust cover. My right cheek is pretty sore after just one mag--what can I do to improve this?
Had a little trouble getting mag to seat and chamber first round both on the metal and the plastic tapco--any trick to this?
Odd side rail for optics--looks like expensive rube goldberg looking mounts must be used. Has anyone simply attached a rail to the top of the dust cover?
Looks like 2 flathead bolt countersunk under the dust cover should work for attaching one. thx for any info.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #2

Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts

Try putting your cheek further back on the but stock, can't put a scope mount on the dust cover as it moves around to much and therefore no accuracy.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5325 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 338

there are some replacement dust cover mounts but they are far far far from solid.

marc pretty much nailed your issue. back off a little and should be good to go.

most ak buttstocks are built for the average rooskie who tend to be a bit smaller than the average american so they have really short length of pull.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #4

Liked 1976 Times on 1174 Posts
Likes Given: 424

Also the short legth of pull on eastern block stocks is to accomodate heavy clothing. So a pad on teh shoulder may get teh stock out a bit more for you. Also, if you move the butt in toward your midline a bit more it may improve your cheek weld.

teh side mount rail is not bad when you use a mount that was designed for it. I personally like the idea of a red dot sight that sits further out on the gun.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:31 PM   #5

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybuddy View Post
Just got my first AK47...It's an M70 OPAP, arrived yesterday from J&G. Cleaned and lubed it and then took to range today.
To sight it you have to have your cheek against the back end of the dust cover. My right cheek is pretty sore after just one mag--what can I do to improve this?
Had a little trouble getting mag to seat and chamber first round both on the metal and the plastic tapco--any trick to this?
Odd side rail for optics--looks like expensive rube goldberg looking mounts must be used. Has anyone simply attached a rail to the top of the dust cover?
Looks like 2 flathead bolt countersunk under the dust cover should work for attaching one. thx for any info.
Your sore cheek is from sighting with too short of a stock, the original wood stocks are made for the short shooter. The US shooter is way too long of a neck to shoot comfortably with this short stock. Here is a way to add length to your stock & they sell a cheek rest too.
http://www.thecountryshed.com/sks_accessories.htm
Go down the page to where is says E&L Stock Extensions.
If your AK has a side rail use it with a mount like this, it will become your best friend.
http://www.mountsplus.com/AR-15_Accessories/AR-15_Scope_Rings/136-AIMS-MK004S.html
If it doesn't something like this could help there are a bunch of differant styles out there.
http://www.mountsplus.com/AR-15_Accessories/AR-15_Scope_Rings/136-AIMS-MK005T.html
or
http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/how-to-scope-your-ak-47-texas-weapons-systems-hi-lux-cmr-ak762/
If you put a good scope on your ak you won't believe the difference it makes.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
George S. Patton

Old 07-24-2013, 11:34 PM   #6

Liked 62 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thx guys, great info!!

Old 07-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

When I shoot my AK I tend to bring the butt stock up a little higher on my shoulder than I do with my other rifles. This puts the butt stock closer to my face so I don't have to lean into it as much with my cheek.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:58 AM   #8

Put a UTG model 47 stock conversion kit in it and you won't have to do that. It allos the use of any AR adjustable buttstock an drops it down a but lower to bring the sights up higher with a standard shoulder placement. But you may not like the look, just thought I'd tell ya. I did it and put a magpul ctr stock on it and the sight picture is much easier to acquire and its more comfortable, plus I can adjust my length of pull.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #9

I just purchased my very first AK-47. I need you to tell me if I got an old clunker or a good one. I love it and think it is amazing !

The AK says GOLDEN STATE ARMS DISTRIBUTORS, INC
MANHATTAN BEACH. CA
AK47S 7.62X39MM
MADE IN CHINA

It has everything ! The cleaning rod, The cleaning accessories hidden in the little butt stalk compartment- all the numbers match on all the parts. It is really cool because I didn’t know AK’s were so amazingly built.

So since I don’t know anything about AK-47’s or what country made the good ones, I need you to tell me if I have a Mercedes's here or a Clunker lemon?

What say you ?

Last edited by bambam; 09-22-2013 at 05:34 PM.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:56 PM   #10

Liked 27 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
most ak buttstocks are built for the average rooskie who tend to be a bit smaller than the average american so they have really short length of pull.
The average Russian is 6'0, Serbs on average stand about 6'1-6'3.

Perpetuating the myth that the short length of pull is due to shorter height is not true and a tale from the cold war that spawned because someone said "communists don't eat as much, so they're shorter."

The short length of pull is there because these weapons come from regions of the world where it gets very cold and thus equates to the use of very thick winter clothing, anyone who has had to use a rifle in winter will understand.

Not trying to be argumentative, but the truth boils down to heavy winter clothes and not shorter height.