Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > AK muzzle detent pin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 02:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default AK muzzle detent pin

On my muzzle detent pin, instead of lying straight forward it comes out at a downward angle so when I'm using my 74 muzzle brake the angle of the pin makes it angle slightly downward. Can I adjust it or is this a common thing for which it has no solution? When I do thread on my muzzle brake, I don't have movement left to secure it fully down into the detent notch. So it has room left in between and the detent's angle slightly pushes down. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-29-2012, 10:32 PM   #2

Liked 55 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 36

It sounds like the hole it sits in is a little too large, causing the detent pin to angle downward.
Here is a picture I took to show what parts look like.

If your muzzle brake still has thread left after getting it where you want it you could try putting a shim washer behind it just to get it tight on the barrel.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0/k=peel+washer/t=P/ksubmit=y/Products/All/search=peel_washer

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
George S. Patton

Old 06-29-2012, 11:33 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

image-1556812521.jpg

Maybe this will help with look and does this look normal

Old 06-30-2012, 01:31 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62 Man
It sounds like the hole it sits in is a little too large, causing the detent pin to angle downward.
Here is a picture I took to show what parts look like.

If your muzzle brake still has thread left after getting it where you want it you could try putting a shim washer behind it just to get it tight on the barrel.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0/k=peel+washer/t=P/ksubmit=y/Products/All/search=peel_washer
Thanks for your input and picture and my next Q... I've never removed the pins on the AK front post and is the detent held in place by the closest pin to muzzle or is it both? Thanks again

Old 06-30-2012, 12:47 PM   #5

Liked 55 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Yes you will need a short punch smaller than the diameter of the cross pin with a flat end. This pin will be to just get the cross pin moving, then go with a longer punch to push it the rest of the way out.
Some of these can be tight but it helps to set it on something solid while trying to punch it out

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
George S. Patton

Old 06-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62 Man
Yes you will need a short punch smaller than the diameter of the cross pin with a flat end. This pin will be to just get the cross pin moving, then go with a longer punch to push it the rest of the way out.
Some of these can be tight but it helps to set it on something solid while trying to punch it out
Thanks again!