AK mag release question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > AK mag release question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 08:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Default AK mag release question

On my AK the mag release has a very ungodly heavy spring on it, but the problem lies in the release itsself, once it clicks the mag into place the switch will lock into place and it takes everything i have to release the switch to drop the mag, 6 times out of 10 it draws blood when i try to change the mags with any kinda speed. Have any of you ever had sticky mag releases and filed them down and if so did it make the mags come out better?

dscf0025fw6.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2724 Times on 1327 Posts
Likes Given: 1386

Deathcricket

Is this with a full magazine or empty? Also have you got other magazines. If the release works easily without a magazine in it I would be more concerned about the tolerances of the magazine lock up area itself where it contacts the Release. If a buddy has one you might want to try one of his. Of course if it works reasonably you have your answer!

Old 03-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Deathcricket

I would be more concerned about the tolerances of the magazine lock up area itself where it contacts the Release.
Yes, thats what i ment to say, the area where it contacts the mag to lock it into place sticks very hard, i can see where its already ate the metal up a little at the top of the release, it does it with empty and full mags, and all the mags i have both factory and aftermarket. what ever i hook into it is painfully hard to unlock.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #4

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Get one of these:

Trigger Guards :: Tactical Magazine Release - AK-Builder.com

AK47 Tactical Release Installation : BlackJack Buffers LLC

or

EMA Tactical AK 47 Mag Release

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-06-2011, 07:22 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Deatcricket,

With what you have said about all the various magazines you have, having the same problem. Rules out the magazines. There is little doubt in my mind that the tolerance issue lies in the top of the Magazine Latch itself. If it were mine I would remove it take a stone or a real light file and take just a few thousandths off of the top where it has contact with the bottom of the lug on the magazine. It could have very well been defective from the factory. Or you could order a new one and put it in. If the problem still persisted with the new one it would reflect a tolerance problem on the receiver maybe with the location of the latch pin hole when it was drilled. Let us know if we can be of additional assistance or PM me. DO NOT TAKE MUCH AT ALL OFF IT WITHOUT TRYING IT!

Old 03-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Deatcricket,

With what you have said about all the various magazines you have, having the same problem. Rules out the magazines. There is little doubt in my mind that the tolerance issue lies in the top of the Magazine Latch itself. If it were mine I would remove it take a stone or a real light file and take just a few thousandths off of the top where it has contact with the bottom of the lug on the magazine. It could have very well been defective from the factory. Or you could order a new one and put it in. If the problem still persisted with the new one it would reflect a tolerance problem on the receiver maybe with the location of the latch pin hole when it was drilled. Let us know if we can be of additional assistance or PM me. DO NOT TAKE MUCH AT ALL OFF IT WITHOUT TRYING IT!

Thx for the advice, ill try taking a bit off at a time today and see if it works, just wanted to make sure and not spring for a whole new release latch first, i didnt even think about being a issue with the receiver good catch. If taking a file to in does not work ill run it by a smith about replacing it with something like cane suggested.

Last edited by deathkricket; 03-06-2011 at 09:22 PM.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #7

Judging from the mags ill try a little off the right side because thats where it is dragging the hardest. (sorry about image size)

sany0299.jpg  

Last edited by deathkricket; 03-06-2011 at 09:37 PM.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:39 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

deathcricket,

Just keep it squared with the receiver. Looks like when you take it out you should be able to see it is not square. Or there is some sort of a stamping burr or ridge on it that should have been removed. I know you will not but a reminder to take a very little off. Too much could cause feed problems with the Mags. *Let me know how you come out. But I think the magazines are in fact telling you what area the problems are in as you advised.