Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   AK jams (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/ak-jams-11244/)

.22hustler 02-24-2009 10:35 PM

AK jams

Can anyone here offer some advice as to the jams with my sons new AK. It's a WASR3 in 5.56..It was purchased new, in the box from a reputable dealer.It's been cleaned, cleaned, and then cleaned again with little success.Gas ports are all clear, piston is clean, operating rod is not bent etc. The jams he is experiencing are not your typical mag jams.. The spent round will not come out of the chamber, and the next round is hitting the base of the spent round. We cleaned out the chamber using a piece of scotch brite pad on the end of a rod, chucked that up in a drill, and cleaned with carb cleaner.It seemed to fire ok, but we took it out again today and it was a great single-shot again. We were using Wolf .223Rem, steel-case.. before someone tells us to use 5.56, we tried that also. It was worse with the American Eagle brass 5.56. It's back at the gunsmiths right now, and the smith said if he can't get it to go, he's going to send it back to Century.. The extracor is also working correctly, no burrs or junk under it. My son is so disappointed in this rifle he doesn't want to continue with this hobby. He's tired of all the problems.. Any help is appreciated.

Shotgun Shooter 02-24-2009 10:45 PM

Aw why doesnt he want to continue?
If he wont continue, I'll be gladly to take that .410 SXS :D

S.S.

.22hustler 02-25-2009 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shotgun Shooter (Post 74709)
Aw why doesnt he want to continue?
If he wont continue, I'll be gladly to take that .410 SXS :D

S.S.

That little .410 stays here!!! If you want a nice sxs, I saw 5-7 of them for sale!!!

Shotgun Shooter 02-25-2009 12:28 AM

Ahh. I'm going friday or saturday to look for .410 pump actions. :D

How much is it going to cost you to get the AK fixed?

S.S.

Benning Boy 02-25-2009 03:16 AM

Really sounds like the extractor. I guess the smith will have to determine.
Century isn't exactly the greatest, but generally the knock on them is canted sights and cosmetic stuff.

Tell the kid these things happen, not to be discouraged. The fact that you guys got to rip it all apart and play with parts gives you both a leg up on many who own these guns and haven't the foggiest how to disassemble, let alone clean one.

.22hustler 02-25-2009 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benning Boy (Post 74806)
Really sounds like the extractor. I guess the smith will have to determine.
Century isn't exactly the greatest, but generally the knock on them is canted sights and cosmetic stuff.

Tell the kid these things happen, not to be discouraged. The fact that you guys got to rip it all apart and play with parts gives you both a leg up on many who own these guns and haven't the foggiest how to disassemble, let alone clean one.

Ya, he's plain p+ssed off, but I had to remind him that out of the 6 guns he has purchased in the last 10 months, only the AK has been a piece of crap..

.22hustler 02-25-2009 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shotgun Shooter (Post 74748)
Ahh. I'm going friday or saturday to look for .410 pump actions. :D

How much is it going to cost you to get the AK fixed?

S.S.

Hopefully it's going to be a free-bee. The gun is still new!! And the smith told us to bring it back... We'll see!

ARnoob 02-25-2009 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .22hustler (Post 74706)
Can anyone here offer some advice as to the jams with my sons new AK. It's a WASR3 in 5.56..It was purchased new, in the box from a reputable dealer.It's been cleaned, cleaned, and then cleaned again with little success.Gas ports are all clear, piston is clean, operating rod is not bent etc. The jams he is experiencing are not your typical mag jams.. The spent round will not come out of the chamber, and the next round is hitting the base of the spent round. We cleaned out the chamber using a piece of scotch brite pad on the end of a rod, chucked that up in a drill, and cleaned with carb cleaner.It seemed to fire ok, but we took it out again today and it was a great single-shot again. We were using Wolf .223Rem, steel-case.. before someone tells us to use 5.56, we tried that also. It was worse with the American Eagle brass 5.56. It's back at the gunsmiths right now, and the smith said if he can't get it to go, he's going to send it back to Century.. The extracor is also working correctly, no burrs or junk under it. My son is so disappointed in this rifle he doesn't want to continue with this hobby. He's tired of all the problems.. Any help is appreciated.

Well, I hate to be the spoil sport here, but I had the exact same issue with my WASR 3. I cleaned the gun really well before shooting it. I would put about 40-60 rds. through it and then the exact same thing would happen!

It would fail to extract the brass from the spent round and then load a live round into the back of the spent brass. I would extract the rounds, and clean the chamber. I was shooting Wolf ammo (55 and 62 gr.), and Remington 55 gr. (just to see if Wolf was the culprit). The same thing happened with the various ammmo types I used. I used all kinds of cleaner on the rifle chamber, barrel, etc. I used a brush to scrub it as well, to no avail.

After I let the rifle cool down for a bit, I could fire about 30-40 more rounds before the FTE nightmare continued (and it did).

The gunsmith couldn't figure it out. He replaced the extractor spring, and still.....FTE after 40-60 rds.!!! This drove me NUTS! I love AK type rifles, and read about WASR 3 issues on a bunch of forums. I heard all kinds of "solutions". I used Weiger and Weiger Romanian clone magazines (not converted AK74 mags.).

A friend of mine heard my rants and said that he thought it was just a case of the metal contracting/swelling due to the heat, and the metal being of poor quality. The tolerances of the 5.56 rifle seemed to be much tighter than the 7.62X39 ones. So, after much annoyance and disappointment, I traded it in.

I hope that helps!

I love the gun, but had to get rid of it. I traded it in for my XD 45. I still want to get an AK type in .223 or 5.56. I'm thinking of a Galil "Golani". They look pretty cool.

.22hustler 02-25-2009 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARnoob (Post 75056)
Well, I hate to be the spoil sport here, but I had the exact same issue with my WASR 3. I cleaned the gun really well before shooting it. I would put about 40-60 rds. through it and then the exact same thing would happen!

It would fail to extract the brass from the spent round and then load a live round into the back of the spent brass. I would extract the rounds, and clean the chamber. I was shooting Wolf ammo (55 adn 62 gr.), and Remington 55 gr. (just to see if Wolf was the culprit). The same thing happened with the various ammmo types I used. I used all kinds of cleaner on the rifle chamber, barrel, etc. I used a brush to scrub it as well, to no avail.

After I let the rifle cool down for a bit, I could fire about 30-40 more rounds before hte FTE nightmare continued (and it did).

The gunsmith couldn't figure it out. He replaced the extractor spring, and still.....FTE after 4-60 rds.!!! This drove me NUTS! I love AK type rifles, and read up on a bunch of forums. I heard all kinds of "solutions". I used Weiger and Weiger Romanian clone magazines (not converted AK74 mags.).

A friend of mine heard my rants and said that he thought it was just a case of metal contracting/swelling due to the heat, adn the metal being of poor quality. The tolerances of the 5.56 rifle seemed to be much tighter than the 7.62X39 ones. So, after much annoyance and dissapointment, I traded it in.

I hope that helps!

I love the gun, but had to get rid of it. I traded it in for my XD 45. I still want to get an AK type in .223 or 5.56. I'm thinking of a Galil "Golani". They look pretty cool.

Sounds EXACTLY what our problems are!!! If it doesn't work after the visit to the 'smith, it's going down the road, IN A HURRY!!

notdku 02-27-2009 05:24 PM

Who did you buy it from?