AK Handguards on Saiga
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > AK Handguards on Saiga

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2014, 12:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default AK Handguards on Saiga

I just bought a partially converted Saiga 5.45X39 - it had two 30 rd magazines and I ran 20 rds through each without a hiccup - I bought it used for $400 and change and the previous owner must have liked rolling around on the beach with it - sand everywhere - I cleaned it up good before I shot it - I ran 40 rds of Wolf through it with no FTE or FTF and it kept a pretty acceptable group at 25 M off hand without adjusting the sights.

Okay some mods I want to do to it - The original equip handguards are a pain in the ass to get off and on - and I was wondering if there was an aftermarket fix without having to cut off the gas block and front sight base? And do they work with standard AK handguards once done? Flash suppressor? I think if I cut off the front barrel shroud and thread the barrel I could install a new AK 74 or other flash suppressor - how does this work out? Does the flash suppressor come off in firing?

I am on a bit of a budget - I am a vet with a few disabilities including a few neck and back fractures - so I was wondering if these work - I mean the gun fires perfectly without the cosmetic changes but I like the looks of the classic AK and if I change one thing at a time over the course of a year I probably will not feel it much in my budget

Thoughts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-19-2014, 01:49 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 122 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 104

I just finished a similar weapon, a 7.62x39 Saiga that had the trigger group, AK mag mod and bullet guide installed.

I nipped the barrel shroud with a tubing cutter, threaded it and installed a phantom-style FH designed for the mod. It is bored to fit over the remaining bit of barrel shroud on a Saiga conversion. For the AK front furniture I used a clamshell lower retainer and a modified Saiga gas tube. Made life simple and works very well with the Hogue AK hand guards I used.

The parts came from Dinzag Arms. His site is at: http://www.dinzagarms.com/index.html

Brian's service and communication is top shelf and the parts I purchased were nicely done.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:03 AM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Well, I decided on getting a UTG rail I picked up for $35 bucks on line and it seems to work - now I need to get a swivel piece for the front handguard to attach a two point sling - and I am looking at XS sights for the front and perhaps a Vortex Sparc for my rail