Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > AK Furniture Refinishing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
I'm an absolute moron re: woodworking, so I apologize if this is a dumb question....

How do you get that "cherry" hue to the wood?
Not a dumb question at all. That cherry hue comes from a combination of factors. It's a mix of red dye, garnet shellac and the laminate wood itself gives off a "glow" when finished. I hope that helps.

Last edited by ARnoob; 01-18-2012 at 05:32 PM.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:27 PM   #12

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

I have seen very few AK's with furniture as nice as this one. Great job on it.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:02 PM   #13

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARnoob

Not a dumb question at all. That cherry hue comes from a combination of factors. It's a mix of red dye, garnet shellac and the laminate wood itself gives off a "glow" when finished. I hope that helps.
Yep, thanks. I knew it wasn't just any old stuff, looks too unique. Gives it that "Russian red".

Old 01-19-2012, 12:16 AM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I just refinished my Mini-Draco front furniture.

Check out my Youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/1crimm

Old 01-19-2012, 02:05 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

IF I still had a wood stock on my rifle I'd probably be re-doing the furniture in that redish-hue commie style. Unfortunately I need a longer LOP so I have an adjustable stock on my "boolet hose" WASR-10.
I did redo the furniture at one point, but it was poorly done and was an expirment for the most part to see how dark I could get the wood, I still have the fore-end on the gun, but its there just until I can find that black-laminate fore-end and the money to get it.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #16

Absolutely gorgeous job on that stock set!

Wood refinishing is certainly not my strong point but I have done a few rifle stocks. Here's a couple pics of the last one I did, this is a used Bulgarian set I got from Apex.

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j434/pslman1/IMG_1670.jpg

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j434/pslman1/IMG_1669.jpg

Old 01-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #17

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Got this Romo a while ago, been putting off doing it. This post reminded me I have to do something with it.

It's been totally painted green. I was hoping it was a cheap spray paint. I shot a few mags through it to see if the paint would melt off, it didn't.

I figured I'd replace the wood & redo @ a later time. However I got to get the paint of the barrel & receiver.

I have 3 questions.
1) any suggestions on what to use to strip the paint off.
2) will I have to redo the bluing?
3) Or am I just better of donating this Bubba to the ATF for there next "fast & furious campaign"?

image-2543688035.jpg   image-1465096928.jpg   image-3547805113.jpg  

Old 01-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #18

Wow, that is...well..green..!

I would try something like mineral spirits on a small area perhaps inside the receiver. If it works I'm not sure how it will affect the parkerized finish underneath provided it's still there of course. If you can get the green off and find the original finish partly/mostly intact you could simply degrease and apply high temp engine enamel. I've done a couple Romy's that way which had bare spots in the finish and had good results. If the green doesn't budge I would consider making it camo if it were mine.

Of course this is the redneck way of going about things. I'm sure others here will have better suggestions for you.

Last edited by pslman; 01-19-2012 at 09:33 PM.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:31 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It all depends on how good the parkerizing was before you put the paint on. Paint adds a layer, the same way parkerizing does, so any abrasives to take the pain off may do the same for the parkerizing if you're not careful. Chemically removing the paint is much safer to the parkerizing since its more resistant than paint may be (depending on what kind of paint you used).

To be honest a full gun bead-blast and parkerizing isnt all that expensive and can be done well by any decent gunsmith with a beab blast cabinet and parkerizing set up. It may just be less headache to have someone redo it for you.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #20

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

When I took this Romo on I promised myself to redo it myself. That makes me sad.
I really have no idea what is going to be left of the parkerizing under the paint. I have a feeling it's not bad though because it really had not been fired much. (could be wrong though). I was just wondering if anyone had tried a specific brand for the chemical to try to remove the paint.

If all else fails I'll do what pslman was saying. I'll camo it myself. It's already green I could probably just take a black Sharpie marker and give it zebra stripes.
(just kidding).