Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > AK cleaning question!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default AK cleaning question!

when breaking down my ak for cleaning should I remove the piston and clean the area in which it sits in the bolt carrier? And if so How do I remove the piston from the bolt Carrier?

Fire for effect!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #2

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Cleaning an AK? seriously though just search on youtube lots of videos.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:41 AM   #3

I'm not sure anyone ever does. Type in "Jim Fuller AK" for some great AK stuff.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:52 PM   #4

Liked 55 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Cleaning an AK isn't necessary unless you are shooting corrosive ammo or the accuracy all of a suddenly falls off.
No, don't take the piston out of the carrier unless it needs changing, just clean the carbon off of the end with a stiff wire brush.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
George S. Patton

Old 08-19-2012, 09:12 PM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

ok thanks guys. yeah I clean every weapon I have very well after its fired. reguardless if its an AK or a .22 just gives me piece of mind and keeps my stuff in good condition.

Fire for effect!

Old 08-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #6

Liked 1908 Times on 1141 Posts
Likes Given: 404

Quote:
Originally Posted by synical View Post
ok thanks guys. yeah I clean every weapon I have very well after its fired. reguardless if its an AK or a .22 just gives me piece of mind and keeps my stuff in good condition.
Probably for the best. I clean my AK too.

You don't need to separate the piston from the carrier though. There is a pin that goes through the carrier and the piston to hold it in place. It is then contoured to the shape of the carrier so it can be hard to see.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:55 PM   #7

Liked 320 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Unless you are for some reason wanting to really get your gun clean,perhaps for storage or just because,you don't need to do much more then simply field strip the weapon and clean it as you would normally clean any other rifle.You do not need to disassemble it any further then that to clean it,only for repair and/or replacement of parts.

When you clean your AK pay special attention to the gas hole in the gas block and the gas block itself.Make sure you get in there and clean it well.Even without corrosive ammo,this is where erosion of the barrel can start and also where combustion residue can build up and cause failure to cycle malfunctions(rarely,but it can happen).

Sometimes,I take a rag and clean the inside of the sight block out where the gas assembly goes,but not all the time.I do clean out the piston tube and clean the piston whenever I clean the weapon,but you do not need to remove your piston from the carrier.

Make sure to use a LIGHT amount of grease on your mainspring upon reassembly.

You can abuse an AK much more then you can alot of other rifles,but it is still a mechanical device and despite its peasant-proof design,it can fail.Not keeping it clean can make failure more likely.

Please clean your weapons regularly,clean guns are happy guns.

"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul."
-Mahatma Gandhi

http://jpfo.org/
III%

Last edited by KalashnikovJosh; 08-19-2012 at 10:00 PM.
synical Likes This 
Old 08-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashnikovJosh View Post
Unless you are for some reason wanting to really get your gun clean,perhaps for storage or just because,you don't need to do much more then simply field strip the weapon and clean it as you would normally clean any other rifle.You do not need to disassemble it any further then that to clean it,only for repair and/or replacement of parts.

When you clean your AK pay special attention to the gas hole in the gas block and the gas block itself.Make sure you get in there and clean it well.Even without corrosive ammo,this is where erosion of the barrel can start and also where combustion residue can build up and cause failure to cycle malfunctions(rarely,but it can happen).

Sometimes,I take a rag and clean the inside of the sight block out where the gas assembly goes,but not all the time.I do clean out the piston tube and clean the piston whenever I clean the weapon,but you do not need to remove your piston from the carrier.

Make sure to use a LIGHT amount of grease on your mainspring upon reassembly.

You can abuse an AK much more then you can alot of other rifles,but it is still a mechanical device and despite its peasant-proof design,it can fail.Not keeping it clean can make failure more likely.

Please clean your weapons regularly,clean guns are happy guns.
yeah I know what you mean about cleaning the gas tube. that thing gets really dirty. Also can you pull the firing pin out of the bolt? on my AR-15 its easy but I have yet to find anything letting the firing pin go from the carrier. maybe I am missing something but I dont wanna pull the wrong thing and mess it up.

Fire for effect!

Old 08-28-2012, 04:13 PM   #9

Liked 55 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by synical View Post
yeah I know what you mean about cleaning the gas tube. that thing gets really dirty. Also can you pull the firing pin out of the bolt? on my AR-15 its easy but I have yet to find anything letting the firing pin go from the carrier. maybe I am missing something but I dont wanna pull the wrong thing and mess it up.
Here is a video showing the disassembly and reassembly of the AK47 bolt.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
George S. Patton

Old 08-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62 Man View Post
Here is a video showing the disassembly and reassembly of the AK47 bolt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix8g8TLKGpI
thank you thank you thank you!

Fire for effect!