Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   AK cleaning question! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/ak-cleaning-question-70476/)

synical 08-16-2012 03:51 PM

AK cleaning question!

when breaking down my ak for cleaning should I remove the piston and clean the area in which it sits in the bolt carrier? And if so How do I remove the piston from the bolt Carrier?

Garadex 08-16-2012 05:53 PM

Cleaning an AK? :confused: seriously though just search on youtube lots of videos.

DeanWormer 08-17-2012 01:41 AM

I'm not sure anyone ever does. Type in "Jim Fuller AK" for some great AK stuff.

7.62 Man 08-17-2012 11:52 PM

Cleaning an AK isn't necessary unless you are shooting corrosive ammo or the accuracy all of a suddenly falls off.
No, don't take the piston out of the carrier unless it needs changing, just clean the carbon off of the end with a stiff wire brush.

synical 08-19-2012 09:12 PM

ok thanks guys. yeah I clean every weapon I have very well after its fired. reguardless if its an AK or a .22 just gives me piece of mind and keeps my stuff in good condition.

SSGN_Doc 08-19-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by synical (Post 909317)
ok thanks guys. yeah I clean every weapon I have very well after its fired. reguardless if its an AK or a .22 just gives me piece of mind and keeps my stuff in good condition.

Probably for the best. I clean my AK too.

You don't need to separate the piston from the carrier though. There is a pin that goes through the carrier and the piston to hold it in place. It is then contoured to the shape of the carrier so it can be hard to see.

KalashnikovJosh 08-19-2012 09:55 PM

Unless you are for some reason wanting to really get your gun clean,perhaps for storage or just because,you don't need to do much more then simply field strip the weapon and clean it as you would normally clean any other rifle.You do not need to disassemble it any further then that to clean it,only for repair and/or replacement of parts.

When you clean your AK pay special attention to the gas hole in the gas block and the gas block itself.Make sure you get in there and clean it well.Even without corrosive ammo,this is where erosion of the barrel can start and also where combustion residue can build up and cause failure to cycle malfunctions(rarely,but it can happen).

Sometimes,I take a rag and clean the inside of the sight block out where the gas assembly goes,but not all the time.I do clean out the piston tube and clean the piston whenever I clean the weapon,but you do not need to remove your piston from the carrier.

Make sure to use a LIGHT amount of grease on your mainspring upon reassembly.

You can abuse an AK much more then you can alot of other rifles,but it is still a mechanical device and despite its peasant-proof design,it can fail.Not keeping it clean can make failure more likely.

Please clean your weapons regularly,clean guns are happy guns.:)

synical 08-28-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KalashnikovJosh (Post 909356)
Unless you are for some reason wanting to really get your gun clean,perhaps for storage or just because,you don't need to do much more then simply field strip the weapon and clean it as you would normally clean any other rifle.You do not need to disassemble it any further then that to clean it,only for repair and/or replacement of parts.

When you clean your AK pay special attention to the gas hole in the gas block and the gas block itself.Make sure you get in there and clean it well.Even without corrosive ammo,this is where erosion of the barrel can start and also where combustion residue can build up and cause failure to cycle malfunctions(rarely,but it can happen).

Sometimes,I take a rag and clean the inside of the sight block out where the gas assembly goes,but not all the time.I do clean out the piston tube and clean the piston whenever I clean the weapon,but you do not need to remove your piston from the carrier.

Make sure to use a LIGHT amount of grease on your mainspring upon reassembly.

You can abuse an AK much more then you can alot of other rifles,but it is still a mechanical device and despite its peasant-proof design,it can fail.Not keeping it clean can make failure more likely.

Please clean your weapons regularly,clean guns are happy guns.:)

yeah I know what you mean about cleaning the gas tube. that thing gets really dirty. Also can you pull the firing pin out of the bolt? on my AR-15 its easy but I have yet to find anything letting the firing pin go from the carrier. maybe I am missing something but I dont wanna pull the wrong thing and mess it up.

7.62 Man 08-28-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by synical (Post 918665)
yeah I know what you mean about cleaning the gas tube. that thing gets really dirty. Also can you pull the firing pin out of the bolt? on my AR-15 its easy but I have yet to find anything letting the firing pin go from the carrier. maybe I am missing something but I dont wanna pull the wrong thing and mess it up.

Here is a video showing the disassembly and reassembly of the AK47 bolt.

synical 08-28-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7.62 Man (Post 918798)
Here is a video showing the disassembly and reassembly of the AK47 bolt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix8g8TLKGpI

thank you thank you thank you!