AK Best and Worst - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > AK Best and Worst

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 05:52 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 69 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I didn't buy my AKs I built mine, but every Hungarian AMD 65 I have seen works great & the ones with the shorter barrels (like mine) are a real attention getters at the range because they are louder than a normal AK.
I really like mine, they are a great hit at the range in the evening from the muzzle flash.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
George S. Patton

Old 01-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #12

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62 Man
I didn't buy my AKs I built mine, but every Hungarian AMD 65 I have seen works great & the ones with the shorter barrels (like mine) are a real attention getters at the range because they are louder than a normal AK.
I really like mine, they are a great hit at the range in the evening from the muzzle flash.
Sweet! I'm mechanically inclined, how much did it cost in parts to build? Any good links to places to get parts??

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
Sweet! I'm mechanically inclined, how much did it cost in parts to build? Any good links to places to get parts??
This is the only place that shows a listing for a AMD65 kit that does not say sold out.
http://www.akparts.com/index.htm

Parts kits are hard to come buy these days.

George S. Patton

Old 01-16-2013, 05:49 AM   #14

OK that last one I posted must have sold out as I posted it.
Give this one a try, it comes with a 100% receiver.
http://www.classicfirearms.com/accessories/amd65rec
I think Arms of America has the barrels, or they did two days ago.

George S. Patton

Old 01-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1227 Times on 685 Posts
Likes Given: 528

I guess it depends on what you want to do with your AK, but I think of an AK as a heavy duty, hard use carbine.

I like the Arsenal SLR-101S, but some people don't like the weight of a milled receiver. For people who are weight sensitive, the stamped receiver SLR-107F and SLR-107FR weigh a bit less than the milled receiver SLR-101S. I just prefer the milled receiver. There's nothing wrong with either.

My previous experience with AK's was with stamped receiver NORINCO and milled receiver Polytech AK's, so the thin 1MM receivers of the stamped Arsenals that my friends had felt kinda funny when fired in comparison to the 1.6MM receiver NORINCO that I had.

I purchased my SLR-101S back when the local gun shops actually charged more for the stamped receiver guns than the milled receiver guns.

I already had a stock of Chinese steel AK magazines, so the milled receiver Arsenal was a nice addition to the AK collection.

I see no tangible benefit to a cheap carbine, apart from being cheap, so I parted with the money for a quality AK. That said, todays prices are just insane and I see no reason to pay the asking price that people are charging on GunBroker and GunsAmerica. No AK in the world is worth 2K. I had second and even third thoughts about the 1K I spent on the SLR-101S.

I'm happy with the SLR-101S and I'd never willingly part with it, but the current rash of price gouging for semi-automatic rifles and carbines is completely over the top.

If you never needed one until now, I'd wait for a return to sanity. The Obama regime is not going to pass any legislation banning semi-automatic rifles and the Democrats know it. The only support the gun grabbers have is from those in the Democrat Party who have always been gun grabbers. In short, the legislation to ban semi-automatic firearms and magazines is going nowhere.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #16

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Right on! Thanks for the informative reply!
We had a gun show this weekend and the price gouging is in FULL effect and I will not pay 2k for an AK so it looks like I will be waiting.

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:21 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
Right on! Thanks for the informative reply!
We had a gun show this weekend and the price gouging is in FULL effect and I will not pay 2k for an AK so it looks like I will be waiting.
Right you are good to wait, there will be bills to pay & buyers will want to get there $$ back when they find out the world is not coming to a end. The price will drop, not sure how far but it will drop.

George S. Patton